Vegetable soup with short ribs
some beef short ribs, cut into bite-sized pieces (4 lbs or less)
1/2 onion, chopped into pieces you like
4 cups beef stock (I use organic store brands-cooking my own is death in a well-insulated townhouse)
2 ribs of celery, plus some leaves, cut into 1-inch julienne
1-2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch julienne
1 leek or a few green onions, cut into 1-inch julienne
6-8 mushrooms, thinly sliced (I use cultivated mushrooms)
parsley, dill, spices of your choice before serving
1. Cut up the meat and season to taste (I like Montreal seasonings)
2. Saute in oil, and add onions after a few moments.
3. Add a splash of red wine.
4. Cook until lightly crusted, and then add some beef stock to cover.
5. Bring to a boil, then simmer until done. I have found that it takes 25-30 minutes. Many recipes say 2 hours...this is too long unless you are using short ribs with bones.
6. Remove the beef, and cover it tightly. Strain the broth and chill it until the fat rises. Skim and discard the fat-my husband likes this step but I like a fatty soup.
7. At this point, I have all the vegetables cut up and waiting in the fridge, and the broth ready. Take a nap, or read a few chapters in your book. Today I sorted vintage patterns into categories I could use for collar and neckline details.
8. Return the defatted (or not) broth to the soup pot. Add the celery, carrots, leek (gr onion) and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
9. Add the beef.
10. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or so. Stir in parsley, dill, salt and pepper.
Serve with bread or crackers...Enjoy and raise a glass to Anthony.