Sunday, January 7, 2018
Spinach Ravioli Soup
This is one of my favorite soups. It is fast, easy and uses up bits and dabs of veges in the crisper. The ravioli and spinach add sparkle to a plain vegetable soup.
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 large celery stalks, diced
any other vegetable you would like, such as orange pepper
small amount of European bacon, chopped (optional)
1 tsp salt
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 large bunch fresh spinach leaves
cheese ravioli (I use Buitoni from the deli case)
1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
freshly ground black pepper
grated parmesan at the table
1. Heat oil. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt. Stir to coat with oil. Cook for 5 minutes or so until softened.
2. Cook bacon, chop and add to veges.
3. Stir in stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded.
4. Set soup off burner and go sew.
5. Around dinnertime, come back, heat up soup and add ravioli. Cook according to package directions. I usually simmer them for 5-6 minutes.
6. Add the fresh spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until bright green and wilted.
Off the heat, add fresh pepper and parsley.
Ladle into bowls and serve with cheese and bread.
After dinner, go sew while someone else does the dishes, walks the dog, and sets up a Netflix movie.
Posted by Mary