Saturday, November 11, 2017

small art


Here is a sampling of some of the mixed media art I do when not sewing. These include heartfelt memories, struggles with technique, and experimental pages. I generally concentrate on texture and neutrals but you can see I played with some color in a few places. Much of the work includes material recycled from previous drawings, collages, and garments. 
 1" x 1" book above
photos from Solomon Islands (1940s) taken by my father.   
Hinged book (4" x 2") above-includes samples from my 2017 drawings and collages.  The next 5 photos are some of the interior pages.  

Left & below-linen on chalk



Above pages include studio waste paper on fabric screen and on the right a corner of a larger collage.

To the left are a raven claw in graphite and more recycled paper.


Photo to the right includes old dictionary pages, parts of a collage and manipulated linen.
  


Fabric sample accordion book:
To the left is an accordion book which is about 3" x 2" when folded.  All fabric is from sewing projects I did this year.  




The little blue book here is 2" x 1" and is connected together with leather strips and a stick.  

This piece was constructed by making marks on a large paper using a handmade brush with a hollyhock leaf attached to use for printing.  I cut up the paper and made a quick accordion book.  This points to a direction I want to travel further.  The black marks on white are so crisp and detailed...I plan to work in black and white for a time.  

7 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see your teeny, tiny art books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy making them, especially the small ones.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. I have always enjoyed drawing and painting.

      Delete
  3. Spectacular on my laptop. So inventive- you have such an enormous range of gifts and grit to work it through. I want to hold these little books in my hands to treasure them as I feast my eyes. Thanks for sharing your creative bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah Wendy, what a compliment coming from you!!

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful. Bring them to the next meeting. I want to touch them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.