Monday, June 26, 2017

Intimacy with a triceratops


TheArt Institute wing of the Sonoran Desert Museum hosted a drawing workshop taught by Rick Wheeler this past weekend.  The focus of the class was drawing from nature and using a multitude of mediums.  Graphite, charcoal pencil, water-soluble colored pencil, watercolor all got some play as I attempted to draw representationally.  Well, you can see the result...that is actually part of a horny toad, not a triceratops.

Have you seen his work?   I love his wildlife paintings and landscapes, and even more so since I was able to leaf through all his photographs this weekend and see what he worked from.  Please take some time to visit Rick at the address which follows. This will take you to his home at Fine Art World.com

He and I had a wonderful conversation about how visual art is employed and enjoyed by people and discussed using artwork in textiles.  At an individual level, in our own studios, we employ surface design, but Rick and I were discussing using parts of his abstract work as textile design in a production run.

A model for this collaboration between artist, designer, and producer is Vida.  Here is an introduction to the company if you have not heard of it.

So, here is why I am talking to you about this.  Rick not only paints gorgeous scenes from nature, and wildlife, but also does abstract works.  He shared a portfolio of some abstracts with me (I was so honored) and explained that the 11x14 prints I was looking at were photos of parts of large original paintings.  They were so striking, and absolutely ready for a textile appplication.




I would love to connect Rick with someone in my readership who has worked with Vida or a similar company.   If you have an interest in pointing Rick in a certain direction to further a collaboration of artist and clothing designer, please let me know by email or in the comments below.  I will be happy to arrange an introduction for you.

It is good to be back, dear Readers.

4 comments:

  1. A friend of mine who is an artist has joined VIDA, but I don't know anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing there is a new blog post from you! I'm totally ignorant re: VIDA, but admire your continuing involvement in artistic opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you reappear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can absolutely see fabrics with that amazing artwork.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.