Tuesday, November 29, 2016

LoriAnne Pattern Collection and my blouse

Here is my attempt to sew on painkillers :-) and use a camera!   This is LoriAnne's Layered Top #6019

The design includes a number of asymmetrical overlapping layers in front and a center back and darts in the back.  There are no closures as it simply slips over your head with the V-neck.  The pattern is easy to construct and comes together quickly for such a complicated design.  I think that speaks volumes for the illustrations and written steps in the instructions.

I measure out to a 6-8 using her sizing but I walked the pattern and chose to make this in a 10-12.  It's just too big, though, and I will need to do some alterations using the back seam and side seams.  I decreased the length of the torso pieces by 1.25" but neglected to do so with the sleeves...so I will work on those too.  I did decrease the shoulder seam by 5/8".

I am not disappointed in what I see wrong here but happy that I was able to complete this while drugged and in pain.  I love the design and will try again using linen or a sturdier cotton from stash.  This is in gauze and it stands away from the body a bit.

Off to plan version #2, Mary

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Mary - I missed your'I fell' post, and the next one - and here you are looking pretty as always with your walker. Oh, and a new top :-) I hope recovery continues to progress well. How frustrating. Thinking of you...Coco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to blogging! I'm glad you are feeling energetic enough to sew. Best wishes as you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are managing some sewing and that things are slowly getting better for you. Hope Nick isn't missing you too much but I bet you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the first photo I thought it looked perfect but yes, I see it is too big by the second photo. Glad you're back at the sewing machine; here's to getting back to the barn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I recall from meeting LoriAnn at SewExpo (Puyallup)that she has her own sizing system? I may be confusing her with another designer though. It sounds like you should have made the smaller size as indicated. But hey - you have the perfect excuse for everything right now. "G.D. those painkillers!" anytime you don't really want to do something.
    I am impressed. You're up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back to discover what happened and oh my word! What a horrid break! I'm amazed at your recovery, but thrilled you're sewing! I'm ashamed at my excuses. :( You look beautiful, as always and I will pray for a complete and complication free healing. Your blouse fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're well enough to sew. How much longer are you likely to need the walker? Hopefully not long enough to start to feel the pressing need to decorate it or change it!
    I looked at the pattern diagram and see the layers now. Nice looking blouse. Good luck with version 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! Glad you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you doing Mary? Hope you are improving and a full recovery , real soon.
    The blouse is really cute.. Looks comfortable. Proud you got to sew a little..

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks a nice top and I should think having the extra room at the moment comes in useful. I hope your recovery continues apace. TS

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.