Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Chronicles of Griffin: Chapter Two

...in which Griff saves the family from a house fire!

Last night I was awakened at 2 am by Griff, and I thought he needed to go outside.  We had a busy day yesterday and maybe he just needed another pit stop.  Out we went, with a flashlight to check for snakes, and he did his business.  When I came back inside I smelled something acrid, and thought the AC was broken.  After shutting it off, and opening up the house, I started back to bed, only to smell the odor even stronger.     

At that point I decided to turn on a lamp and check the whole house.  When I touched this lamp, I found it burning hot and the switch completely inoperable.  Of course, in my attempts to unplug the damn thing I spilled Ross' water and knocked the bedside table off its leg extenders (we have a platform bed).  He woke up and was unaware of what had happened so he was grumping at me to wait until morning.  !!!  

Griff definitely saved us from a potential house fire, and I couldn't be more grateful.  The smell would probably have got me up, but who knows when the wiring would have caught?  Griff is a hero!

In other news, I am meeting with my contractor today to pick out cabinet doors, a sink and faucet, and a new countertop.  My little kitchen will have a makeover this season.  I have lived with it for 2 years and decided to not pop the wall open into the living room. But keeping it as a galley kitchen means I want NICE cabinets, NEW countertops, and a TILE backsplash.  I can live with black appliances, and I think they will look good when we are all done.                               No more pink and black kitchen :-)  

17 comments:

  1. He definitely deserves his own burger AND cone for that save. Scary! Maybe along with the kitchen contractor you should have an electrical guy come in and do a thorough look around too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grif goes to Burger King, and wears the crown! Sometimes I rip those burgers in quarters to help them enjoy their well-deserved treat longer. Otherwise it's gone before they know it was OK to eat, right? :) Oh, I love a good dog story! It helps to remember these when they roll in manure then roll all over the carpet. Good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story of your wonder dog, Griff! And love that it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Griff and your new kitchen sounds great! So glad you're not replacing it due to a house fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary stuff, glad you're all OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference a moment could make! Lucky you came back in before anything happened - Ross was still in the house. I have had two near mishaps over the last few years - a new dryer was not properly made, did not work, and was "live" - while I attempted to start it!, and a electric frypan blew out at the plug area - no reason to - and started burning quickly. Scary stuff, electrics. Hope you got rid of your offending lamp and gave Griff lots of pats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mary, this reminds me of a novel Brian and I are reading; I think you need to read it if you haven't yet. It's called "A Dog's Purpose." Hugs and treats to Griff – and you! Can't wait to see your kitchen re-do; I couldn't have lived with pink and black for two years....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story is bittersweet - I read it very early this morning as I got up to keep an eye on our dog. He tried to make it to 15 years old but his body failed him and we had to put him to sleep today. It will take some doing to get used to not having a dog anymore. I will miss all his crazy alerts when something wasn't right in his world. I am so glad you decided to adopt Griff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have quite the hero there. So glad that all ended well! It's really too bad that dogs cannot talk, or that we don't quite understand what they're trying to tell us at the outset. It would be so much easier to understand their alerts (especially in the middle of the night).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to hear the work done by Griff:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.