Monday, July 18, 2016

Dogged determination

Creativity is not orderly sometimes and I thrive on balance and order.  While I am creative in some pursuits, there are other activities in which I am a faithful follower.  I want to know where I am going, though I am flexible in how I get there.  

I've learned to honor my need for order, having healed from a tumultuous childhood.  There are times when the world, and MY world, are so challenging that the best use of my creativity is re-organizing my undies.  Recent world events have knocked me down, and I am doing what I need to do to stay focused on my own personal work.  That means reading light fiction, avoiding TV news, and paying special attention to those around me.  It also means spending more time with my husband and our animals as their love is so uncomplicated. 

I have 3 new shirts in my closet now.  Each of these shirts is from the same pattern, and each is slightly different in fit and details.  Sewing them was supremely satisfying at this time-I knew what to expect and could make small decisions on cuff design or button placement.  I established a small bit of order into my world by staying with this pattern, using dogged determination.

The pattern is Sewing Workshop's  Cortona shirt, which you first saw here.  I made it in a cute B/W cotton, and love it even while it is a bit big.  
 Version #2 followed in a quilting cotton-pretty color and a little heavy for an Arizona summer.  This shirt was cut smaller. I added a petite adjustment to the length and left off the plackets on the sleeves.  This is a riding shirt and needs to be loose.  
 
Version #3 is the same shirt in a taupe check seersucker.  What a wonderful fabric for 100 plus days.  I love this shirt, especially now that I reduced the shoulders and armscye to a size equivalent to xs in the pattern.  I actually forgot to do the alteration before cutting, so had to drape it on me and baste the sleeves in.  Then I removed them and adjusted the stitching line.  I know-very poor fitting technique!  Here it is:
This is the Cortona with plain cuffs, pleats in the back rather than gathers, and an added button band in the back.  I was feeling a little too much beige going on so ... added this bit of detail.

I am still needing to alter the back pattern piece so stay tuned for version #4!  In the meantime, I'll enjoy wearing this cool shirt both with flowing pants, and with breeches and boots.  




In other news, my dog Griff is a handful.  Handful of love, handful of fun, handful of natural beauty.  

33 comments:

  1. Lovely shirts, all of them but I'm telling you, that Griff is a show stealer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa, and thank you for the recent nudge to write.

      Delete
  2. Griff has the best big old pink tongue ever! I love big strong dogs and he has a beautiful face. Will hope to see more of him accessorizing your sewing projects. And I totally agree on the need for order and control and beauty in all the ugly right now. Thanks for sharing your shirt production.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ceci, doesn't he have the best happy face? He is a big galoot right now and I know he will mature into a very wonderful adult dog.

      Delete
  3. Your shirts look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. I highly recommend the pattern.

      Delete
  4. All the shirts are pretty. Your pup pup is so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am amazed at our good fortune for finding him-he is a good match for us.

      Delete
  5. Great post; good coping skills. And the rearview on that last shirt is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I like the back button placket also-thanks Michelle.

      Delete
  6. The shirts are great and I love the big flow-y pants. Which pants pattern did you use?
    Griff is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Babsox. The pants pattern is V9067.

      Delete
  7. Lovely shirts -I especially like #2 - and lovely dog. We are hot today even in our Northern part of the UK. I don't have a suitable hot weather wardrobe but found seersucker the best I could use today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shirts -I especially like #2 - and lovely dog. We are hot today even in our Northern part of the UK. I don't have a suitable hot weather wardrobe but found seersucker the best I could use today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I'm afraid we are all warmer lately...seersucker and cotton gauze will be in everyone's wardrobe in the coming future. But, AZ is hellishly hot right now as we wait for monsoons

      Delete
  9. Griffin is so happy! I love his smiling face

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I rarely see this expression because he is usually puzzling out a command and looking serious as he faces me. When we wrestle, I know he is grinning but I am turned away from the TEETH :-)

      Delete
  10. Love your dog's happy face. I rarely watch the news, preferring to stick my ostrich head in the sand and pretend I'm in my happy place. Part of that is my work environment. I have felt the need to do more Pay It Forwards for people who request things from me. Make the world a better place by being kinder.
    Your back placket is awesome - I might need to copy that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pay it forward...and vote responsibly :-) please copy the placket

      Delete
  11. Great shirts, Mary! I particularly love the button back detailing on the third one. I hear you on the self care. I also have to limit how much media I can deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shams, I like the placket too. I really liked your recent skirt!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see you posting. Love the shirts, and the baby dog is outstanding! Is he a rescue or ?
    I'm packing right now. Hope to be back to blogging mid August or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, hi! I'll "see" you in mud August when you return. Griff is from the animal shelter.

      Delete
  14. Three lovely shirts, although I have to admit that your riding shirt is my favourite. Griff looks gorgeous - so rewarding to give an unloved animal a home. I'm sure he rewards you back with lots of slurps with that pink tongue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah liz, yes...lots of slurps from that big lunkhead! Thanks for the compliments on the shirts.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness. I too avoid news and concentrate on the things I need to do. Your post made so much sense. :) Your dog is beautiful and so are your creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely shirts and I am sure you will wear them a lot. Griff is a very cute dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are such an elegant lady, such a classical beauty! Your shirts, all three, highlight your lovely features. I love them all, but that back placket treatment is awesome! Griff is terrific, too! One of the best dogs I ever had came from the local shelter. Griff looks like he's very happy to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are a dear for all the nice compliments... Griff is a challenge right now with a few behaviors!

      Delete
  18. Love your shirts - you've had better luck using quilting cotton than I have. Yeah for monsoons 🌵

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.