Sunday, February 7, 2016

after the party...

....of the Pattern Stash contest on PR, I am settling in for some leisurely sewing.  Sewing with a plan and sewing slowly and carefully.  Here is what I am making at present-
This is Sewing Workshop's Quincy top/jacket (and pants).  I cut out the jacket as a medium, using a nice blue and white linen.  The only alteration I have made so far is to shorten the sleeves.  I'm considering adding a cuff.  I will most likely reduce the length after the first fitting, but I want to see what happens to the shape of the jacket when sewn.  

This will be a light barn jacket for "cool" mornings and sun protection.  My real plan is this-

Add length to the jacket, do not use a closure at all, make 3/4 sleeves and no pleating.  This will be a spring coat and I am considering using a nani IRO fabric (herringbone pencil in denim).  Or, a strong idealized floral.  

Doesn't this sound pretty?  I can't take credit as I bought a year of the Sew Confident course from Sewing Workshop.  This project using the Quincy jacket is one of the monthly lessons.  I am really enjoying the lessons, and will be a repeat customer, I'm sure.  Each lesson has clear, straighforward directions, extremely good photographs and illustrations, and result in well made garments with a high end look.  What could be better?  Here is the link to the class info if you are interested- Sew Confident

Today's blog title comes from my current read.  I am reading The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian, and having lots of fun following the characters.  It centers around the aftermath of a bachelor party in which 2 Russian prostitutes make a break for it...after killing their handlers at the party.  The novel examines what happens to the brother who hosted the party, and to the wife and daughter, as well as the Russian women.  Fun, and engaging.

Other books taking up space on my cyber night table are:
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton-circuitous and forbidding murder mystery
The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante-Book 2 in the Neapolitan series
These is my words by Nancy Turner-a diary of an Arizona settler
All three are highly recommended and I know surely one will be your pick.

Happy Super Bowl,

Mary


11 comments:

  1. Nice jacket. I always enjoy seeing some new-to-me patterns - and continue to miss opportunities to wear more jackets.

    Did you like 'The Luminaries'? I've been thinking of reading it, but not yet sure...I know it was nominated for a bunch of awards, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews. My book budget is so tight!

    Meanwhile I've re-read all of Annie Proulx books (seems like an annual thing) and am reading 'Scorpion Down' by Ed Offley at the moment. Submarine/cold war from the 60's, and fascinating. It's pretty detailed, so I can't read it along with a couple others as I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coco, The Luminaries reads like a Victorian novel, so you must be patient with description and discussion of manners. I think that is what has led to some negative reviews. It's a good story and the writing is dense and well crafted.

      Delete
    2. Hi Coco,
      I'm not sure where you live but I get all my books through Overdrive . You just need a current library card ( US ) . If they don't have a book you can suggest . I've gotten all my requests in a few weeks .
      PS - Mary - great jacket . I've also considered the Sew Confident class

      Delete
  2. Yes, it does sound pretty. The course sounds very good - maybe after the wedding! I haven't been reading much recently but did finish 'The Forgotten Seamstress' yesterday on the train. I like the sound of 'The Luminaries'. It's good that you can get back to the sewing you feel you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it does sound pretty. The course sounds very good - maybe after the wedding! I haven't been reading much recently but did finish 'The Forgotten Seamstress' yesterday on the train. I like the sound of 'The Luminaries'. It's good that you can get back to the sewing you feel you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "These are my words" and found it an excellent read! The jacket sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I liked my Quincy makes and going without closures is perfectly do-able! Sounds like a fun course.Enjoy. And we had a wonderful Superbowl day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha-I thought of you :-) We actually "taped" it and watched.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of the added length along with a cuff. Should be lovely. Your book list sounds super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic pattern making! You're inspiring me to crank out a few dress

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.