Sunday, January 31, 2016

What do you do with your time?

I have been retired for 6 1/2 years, and I can say with the utmost certainty that I am happier than I have ever been.   I am not lazing by the pool, or watching hours of Netflix.  

I am actually doing exactly what I have done my entire adult life, except going to work.

I am sewing (more), I am riding (more), I am meeting friends for dinner (more), I am taking classes or attending workshops (more), I am volunteering (more)...

What is clear to me is that retirement needs to have a focus, and those people who are internally motivated are probably happier in retirement.  

I've been busier than usual this month with horse training, dressage lessons, trail rides, pattern stash contest and HOA business.  Here is a photo essay of my month-enjoy!

Riding down into Catalina State Park (Nick's ears )

As Landscape and Erosion Committee
chair, I helped organize erosion mitigation efforts in our development.








Tried some new patterns-this is V9130 which I like but tossed this because the fabric showed lots of bumps and lumps.









Top right is a blouse from B5997 (love) and bottom left are pants from M6361 (hate).  The pants are wadders and you can read my PR review if interested.  In a nutshell, they are just too wide through the legs.  Hey look, my hair is clean!





Vest below using B5789-like it I think.  Pants above are Marcy pants and I will try again as these are a muslin.



Whew, time for some loungewear.  Here is KS3155:

Happy Sunday everyone...time for a nap:

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time. I took 6 months off work apart from 1/2 day at Headspace - a free clinic for youth - and did not get bored at all . I am looking forward to a partial retiremement but the Australian govt keeps on raising the age - I have to be 67 before I can access my self managed super fund

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy January - good to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned 66 in Nov and thought to retire in Dec. The closer I came the less I wanted to do it. Like you, I have multiple things I want and can do but all of a sudden hit a stage of 'stage fright'. It is so bad I cannot spend more than 30 minutes in the studio. This scares me that I will spend my days doing this the rest of my life. This has lasted for months now. No matter what I am retiring this year. I did start social security on DH (50%) while mine grows 8% per year until age 70. I just want to finish a project soon.
    Karen in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds about right to me . . . just doing more of what I've been doing, and hopefully doing it all until I die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - I love being retired! I'm not sure how I ever found time to work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being retired. Like you, I'm doing more of everything. I took up both sewing and bridge when I retired and find I'm not playing more golf, not doing more gardening etc as I just don't have time. I'm doing classes in person and on line. Like many say, I'm not sure how I ever find time to work. I'm sure being busy keeps us young. I don't qualify for our state pension until 65, currently (that age is being gradually raised and used to be 60 for women); my children will have to work until late 60s or even longer. I do have an employment pension. Best wishes Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being retired. Like you, I'm doing more of everything. I took up both sewing and bridge when I retired and find I'm not playing more golf, not doing more gardening etc as I just don't have time. I'm doing classes in person and on line. Like many say, I'm not sure how I ever find time to work. I'm sure being busy keeps us young. I don't qualify for our state pension until 65, currently (that age is being gradually raised and used to be 60 for women); my children will have to work until late 60s or even longer. I do have an employment pension. Best wishes Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Looks like lots of fun, even the wadders....
    Love to see Little Nick, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly what retirement should be! You look lovely as always. I retired very early to travel with my older than I husband, but God had other plans and we adopted a four year old. He will be six next week and I find myself longing for time to sew, take classes, etc. Hopefully after my second retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been taking staycations and wondering why ppl get so afraid of retiring? Go to the gym early, go grocery shopping when no one is there, come home and sew the rest of the day! What's not to love about that?

    (The title of your post really caught my eye--I was flipping back through my journal this weekend and found an entry I wrote this summer, that I totally don't remember writing, called "how am I spending my time?" or something like that.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am getting close enough to think about retiring and I am pretty excited about it. Until I have completed all my research, I don't know how many more years I will work, but I am going to do my best to minimize the number. And I am going to do my best to be active and engaged and productive when I am no longer required to go to work every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great that you are enjoying your retirement years doing all the things you love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post and so happy that you have a great life after retirement. Love all the garments you made, you look good in all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am very happily retired . This is my 13th year. I retired early for health reasons. I worked in a big fabric store for 6 years after retirement resulted in better health and since then, I've sewed to my hearts's content. I teach sewing and mentor a sewing group. Oh My husband and I watch lots of Netflix at night!!! You sound very busy and very healthy! Good for you.Oh and you look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.