Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 ->2016

Being in the midst of change, and moving toward a more dedicated approach to my art and sewing, I have been keeping a journal.  There is no rhyme or reason to the organization of the pages-they move from a pattern I love to a list of notions to buy to a favorite silhouette for an outfit.

To try to keep my art separate from my sewing from my outdoor enthusiasms from my personal growth from my reading...does not work for me.  These artificial divisions only keep me from exploring how what I love informs other parts of my life.

I have long kept notebooks or records of what to sew-these have proved to be good reminders of what appeals to me as similar style details show up over and over.

This is my time to push myself and to play with color and line in various forms.  I am not sure where the play will be, whether on a quilt or a blouse or a canvas.  I do know there will be fabric somewhere in it.
My shift toward exploring more art forms has been growing in concert with the political and economic upheavals throughout the US and the world.  I am saddened, anxious, and angry.  I am also convinced that life is still valuable, good and worth celebrating.  I am not convinced that my attempts to live a peaceful and artful life will affect the political landscape, but it will give me some peace.

Unlike my attempts in the 60s/70s to affect political change by going back to the land, this is a conscious effort to support the art in life and give my interest in politics a back seat for a time.  I will still read political commentary, I will vote, I will talk to others about current events, I will help those who need it, I will contribute financially and emotionally to social justice.  But art is first in my emotional involvement in 2016.



Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth"; Vietnam footage 


19 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I enjoy reading your blog! I love your commitment to supporting art.
    Happy New Year!!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. food for thought, Mary. Bring it on, 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice commitment starting a new year. Particularly if you feel stirrings of need to pursue this multi-faceted interest. enjoy! and have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you phrased it "live a peaceful and artful life". Hope 2016 is a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful goal, Mary! And we definitely all need an escape from the heavy political news. Otherwise it can really drag the spirit down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Mary! Fabulous goals and ones I know you will be able to continue throughout the year. Great journal idea. Whether or not your attempts to change the entire world are successful, in my mind it will happen individual by individual by being who we want to be and showing others that it works. If each one of us can change our own life to a peaceful existence filled with light, love, and art, others can see and embrace the concept, and it can change the world.
    Enjoy your New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think looking after yourself with Art is a good idea for you. Sensitive souls will be upset by what is happening globally. I predicted many of these happenings over a decade ago and was told I was just depressed. I wasn't, I could just "see". Events will unfold, although there may well be madness before. Keep on with the art...X Sarah Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!These are great goals. I'm making more time for art too. I'm going to schedule it and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes for a Happy New and Art-Filled Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great decisions, Mary! Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A thoughtful and articulate post with valuable food for thought - thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep a book in which I write/paste notes of a particular site or quote I read, or newspaper/magazine clipping. I used to do that on pieces of paper which would mostly get lost. Your idea of a journal, which includes all your interests in one place, is a brilliant idea and one which I might (?) need to follow, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about artificial divisions being unhelpful. I'm not a notebook or sketchbook keeper and doing one for my course has been tough, is tough but I hope to use it more, in a natural rather than enforced way. May 2016 see you fulfil your goals. A Happy, Peaceful and Art-filled New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this post. I look forward to seeing what 2016 brings for you. And for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, such industry with notebook keeping. I'm hard pressed to make a notation on a warp or a pattern let alone commit anything to a notebook. Maybe I'm just lazy or my thoughts just aren't that interesting! In any event, have a wonderful, healthy and happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely thoughtful post, Mary! I feel we should concentrate on the space around ourselves where we have some power for positive change instead of worrying about those over which we have no control. Living an example is more powerful than you would think. Wishing you all the best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes on your 2016 goals.. Wish you a happy and blessed year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply- thank you for being you. We are all better for it. Even people who don't know you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.