Monday, October 26, 2015

The Power of Intention


Here is my list which I have tackled recently, and by doing so, have had little time for social media--->
Desert landscaping,  fitness, weight loss, riding bareback, bound buttonholes, woodwork restoration, painting trim, fitting an expanding waist and dropping boobs, making new friends, using my serger more often, finding a tile setter, DIY grout cleaning, teaching Big Nick to self load in the trailer, choosing and buying light fixtures.  

I am tired, but satisfied.  

Intention is interesting.  Many people say things like "I could never do that"  or  "I am no good at that."   If I were to only do the things I knew how to do, and do only those things I was proficient at, my list would be much shorter.  I like this about myself, and my life is richer for this.  The downside is that I sometimes bite off more than I can chew, and I must be patient until someone can help me, or I need to allow lots of extra time in order to learn and practice a new skill.  

A neighbor recently said to me "You've lived here for a year and a half and you're STILL painting?"  I didn't match her sarcasm (my Dad would be proud) but did say we like to do things ourselves.  Most everyone around us has handymen and gardeners and probably computer geeks on call.  The comment set me back for a day or so (I wonder if she is aware of the effect of her rudeness?) and I needed to take stock. 

We bought this house fully aware of what needed to be done. It will be a showcase in a year or two and even now is beginning to sparkle.  Here are some quick pics of my house, both good and bad.

sand, fill, repeat.  Coat #1
Fall wreath still to be finished after a trip to Michael's

 Wall paint=Sailcloth
condition of baseboards through much of the house
Entryway all done!!
 Trim paint=Mission gold
 Trim #2 for doors=Melt with you
30 years of neglect





Besides sanding and painting, I have been sewing.  I just made a gigantic order at Fabric Mart and I will be sure to post when it arrives.   Let me close now so I can finish these shorts--->M7165 in cranberry twill.  Look at that zipper and pockets!  Beautiful :-)




17 comments:

  1. You are doing it-not just talking about doing it.
    Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    rude people never cease to amaze me!!! Where do they get that rudeness from??
    I so understand your work on your home.. We have our house up for sale, [trying to fix small things on it]. .And hubby bought 55 acres in the country when he retired, It had an old [I mean bad shape old.ha] house on it..
    We [like dummies] decided to make it livable, and move there. We have worked all summer and still LOTS of work to do..It is never ending.ha.
    We sure don't need people to remind us of the painting and work that needs to be done.. I had a friend last week, ask me, " Are ya'll not finished with that house yet? People build new houses in less time." eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, not a happy conversation..
    Love your colors, and the entry way is beautiful..Have a blessed week,and don't work to hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for only losing a day to a sarcastic remark! I feel for you!

    You are building a home!

    Beautiful stitching!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl. We built our first home - with help of course - and by the time we sold it 16 years later it was still not finished. Good job on holding back the sarcasm - good to show people there are alternatives . You are living a full life by the sounds of it and that is great. Oh yes and beautiful stitching as Brenda said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been in our house 12 years and it isn't finished. We had some work done by professional contractors which certainly took far longer than building from scratch (which we'd love to do but the right land hasn't been available) Now we're thinking of downsizing and so need to finish and also re-do some of what was done eg repainting to freshen up. I think you're doing magnificently. As Eileen said, doing just not talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been in our house 12 years and it isn't finished. We had some work done by professional contractors which certainly took far longer than building from scratch (which we'd love to do but the right land hasn't been available) Now we're thinking of downsizing and so need to finish and also re-do some of what was done eg repainting to freshen up. I think you're doing magnificently. As Eileen said, doing just not talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, me too, on intentions. Its an ever present balancing act.
    All of my girlfriends are like me, we'd rather do, or learn to do projects ourselves. All of us dislike women and men who start the conversation with, "I could never do that" and "I don't know how."
    I find at 52, my patience is up with people who can't and won't try. I ignore them. There is immense satisfaction is wielding a trim brush perfectly. (It helps if you hide your perfect trim brush from your husband too).

    I'm impressed you taught Nick to get himself into the trailer. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A year isn't long in the scheme of things... obviously she doesn't do/make things as she'd know it takes much more time than you think. Kathy has articulated my feelings very well. I just said to my neighbour, I hate paying someone to do what I can do and that doesn't leave much. I wasted money on some legal stuff, ran out of my last savings (after not working for nearly 10 years) and then was terrified but did it myself with some basic help from some organisations and won my case and got what I asked for which was nowhere near what I could have, as the Judge said. All while doing a degree and from there worked out I can do anything I commit to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on Nick self loading. Wanna come and work with Cooper? ;-)
    Actually he's gotten pretty good, it only took 13 years....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just discussing how much I can enjoy the process as much as the result so I totally relate to your progress. I'm also slow to make decisions about home stuff so being "slow" saves me from impetuous bad decisions. I sometimes envy people who are quickly decisive but most of the time I am just fine with my methods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a do it myselfer most of my life - the list of jobs needing attention never goes away. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to buy a new place every few years that needs no work, then move again - that is what some people do. And they do not always have money either... just a better than you attitude. One of my friend's parents went to buy a Mercedes with cash in pocket one day, and went in his do it yourself clothes - only to be told that he could not afford one of these cars so don't bother the dealer!! Sigh, I must start pulling out the list of jobs than need doing here as well..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, we've been in our house for 16 years and we are still not done so do not feel bad about "still" painting. You will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack, that is rude. We have a neighbor we're very fond of, but have had to build some firm boundaries with. Example: "When are you going to start doing some house remodeling (or garden projects or....)?" Answer: "Pretty much never, so please stop asking". To his credit, he stopped. Not that we don't do those kinds of projects, but on our schedule, not his....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am impressed with your list of accomplishments, which in the end will give you some great blog fodder. I'm looking forward to reading all about it;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. DH and I are one of two people on our rather long street that cut our own lawn, pant our home inside and out, and make nearly all repairs for the 30 + years we've lived in this home. We're rather proud that we have accomplished this and know you are also proud of what you do. The time it takes is not important. Anyone can hire things done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to bounce from project to project as well. It keeps things interesting for sure. Today I am helping my youngest with his science fair project. Yikes, making candy for the first time. Great to see you making your home your own. The cranberry shorts are definitely looking good. Can't wait to see what you got from Fabric Mart!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your life sounds full, challenging and fun! THAT"S what's important!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.