Sunday, September 6, 2015

Those gams

I made some shorts.  

I began with my measurements, and then took an extra anti-depressant.  Using B 6061, a size 14+ and extra length on my waistband, I sewed View A exactly as drafted.  These shorts are semi-fitted and tapered...and cut rather long for shorts.  

I ended up with some shorts that were wearable, and some practice in a fly front and a waistband.  My track record for those skills is poor, so I was happy to use a pattern and fabric I was not invested in.  Using my measurements, I ended up with shorts which could be taken off without unzipping!  So, I altered the waistband, removed the button and sewed over the buttonhole, chopped off 2+ inches of the hem.

Now they stay on my hips!! (note for other frugalistas-the tee is an old LLBean turtleneck I remade.)
Feeling pretty sassy, I bought some other shorts patterns and planned a new attack.  This time I used some twill form Hancock's and M 7165 ViewA.  

Why did I cut sizes 14 and 16, except that is what the measurements indicate.  After basting, I saw that a 16 gives me enough room through my hips, but is too big near my waist.  Again, lots of alterations to make the waistband fit...and then adjust the pockets which got pulled off grain. 


This length is good for my height, and I like the fabric.  I did a much better job on the fly front and waistband, though I still need to be more precise with edge stitching and stitch in the ditch.  

It's fun to work on technique and have some samples which ae wearable. :-)
These 2 patterns fit me as well as can be expected without a muslin.  The crotch is good, the waistband doesn't cut into me and the overall shape is nice.  Tight clothes do not feel good in desert heat so while I could go a bit more fitted, I don't want to.

Here is something interesting-I don't know what to do about that dent in my right butt cheek (thanks Woodrow, for dumping me onto lava rock and then running back to camp).

Finally, here are the interior shots of the zipper etc.  

Take away knowledge: fly front mastered, waistbands better, love both pocket styles, both shorts hemmed at 13" outseam with 3 1/2" inseam on B6061 and 2 1/2" inseam on M7165.  

I highly recommend taking the time to PRACTICE. 



27 comments:

  1. How fun are these! And you look good in shorts :-) I have the same issue with the waist being too big when the hips fit. So did the lady in Raphael's famous painting. Woodrow really did a number on you when he dumped you. Have you tried cutting the middle right back piece with more room? maybe with a fish-eye slash. Other than that, well, I guess we just have to roll with some minor anomalies in our anatomies! Our unique pretties...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think a fish eye dart might work if oriented vertically?

      Delete
    2. That's what I was thinking, vertically. And you could still get a little horizontal play from it as well if you added a small horizontal slash across it, maybe closer to the CB seam than the side seam. OK, now I'm curious to see what happens if you try this!

      Delete
  2. They look great – and so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shorts, Mary! And I do love pockets - these are terrific. I am almost inspired to make shorts now. But alas I would have to see myself in the mirror. You look adorable, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha-I now have 2 pocket styles to choose from. You could make sashiko embellished shorts!

      Delete
  4. They are looking so good, Mary! I love them and they fit you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Hana-I hope to refine the fit even further as they are still too loose in the upper hip. How have you been?

      Delete
  5. Wow, you and the shorts look great! I have been working on fly fronts this weekend, too. It's nice not to be afraid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great and so do you :-) I bet they will get some use with the hot weather you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thanks so much. These will be for the moderate weather as anything with a fitted waistband is too hot in the summer.

      Delete
  7. Nice job Mary! They both look great. I don't think there is any fixing the dent but there are some cute hi/low tees and blouses these days.
    So Woodrow left a dent on your butt along with hoof print on your heart. A twofer! :-) RIP Woody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa! "A twofer" yes indeed and the hoofprint on my heart makes up for the dent on my butt. :-)

      Delete
  8. Mary,
    I have been making shirts as well! As you know the Mexican summers are hot, and humid and we change clothes multiple times a day. All of my shorts gave up the ghost on the same day. I used my Eureka Pants that fit. Pattern and made cuffed linen shorts in lavender. I have a few more to mak, we have a good 6 weeks of high summer, or "summer hell" as my Beloved calls it. I love fly zippers. It took me years to perfect a lapped zipper insertion. Now I Have that down! You look great In your shorts. I suggest that the drag lines indicate that you need more room in the crotch or inseam... I also discovered that SHORTER shorts are more flattering on we senior gyrrls. You look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan...your input is appreciated.

      Delete
  9. What great focus to accomplish your goal. You took away way more than 2 nice pairs of shorts. Love the turquoise ones- the leg shape is just right on you. I'd be thrilled to have shorts this good with no muslin. You're a champ! Me? I found a well-fitting pair marked down at Kohls and wore them a ton in Hawaii. Almost not in San Francisco. Maybe today! We sissies are facing a hot one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Wendy, I sure appreciate your approach and did consider Kohls. !!!

      Delete
  10. I chuckled at "dent in my right butt cheek".
    I think both pairs fit very nicely.
    I am in Redmond at the moment with much cooler weather. The big warm springs fire was massive but is already fading from our minds as the temperatures fall. Nighttime temps were down near freezing this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the fires have abated and cooler weather is coming for you.

      Delete
  11. I think the shorts look great on you and you did a lovely job on both pairs. However, you might get a kick out of this post by badmomgoodmom: http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2015/08/speed-sewing.html. Now that's the way I like to do shorts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great. I live in shorts, but I tend to reach for my RTW ones over handmade because the fabric is generally sturdier...I need to find some good fabric for handmade shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're past short weather now - just as well as I'd need more than one extra antidepressant if I were to make any. They look good. I agree about the value of practice.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.