Friday, July 10, 2015

New Vogues

I don't normally do a collection review but I am very inspired by the Fall collection at Vogue Patterns.   The overall vibe is ladylike, chic and elegant. There is a lot of seaming detail on the body, shoulders, and collars; necklines seem higher in general; lapels and sleeves are extravagant.  I noted that collars are smaller, and come in a variety of shapes.  This collection is less for the urban fashionista and more attuned to the woman who needs a stylish and subtle look for work, meetings and events.  
Donna Karan V1465
Donna Karan V1466
V9123

There are 2 sweet patterns for girls, and 2 patterns for dolls.  
V9141


Many of the edgier designers have lovely patterns, including one from Koos van den Akker.  I like to do applique and have been successful sometimes with the technique.  It is very easy to make a wrong turn and end up looking as though you are wearing a table runner...so I collect van den Akker patterns to study the arrangements.  
V1459


V9130

Marcy Tilton has 2 winners-the coat might overwhelm me but I LOVE it.  Petite people beware!  Her fabric choices are phenomenal-make sure to go look at the models.  
V9140
Marcy's newest tee shirt is super, with an organic look to the seaming and a softness which looks comfortable but sophisticated.  


In keeping with the above beautiful "art teacher chic" patterns, here is an interesting jacket from Sandra Betzina.
V1456

Kathryn Brenne has a lovely jacket which I would like to make for the holidays...



What did I hate?  Not much-one dress with bust seaming which looks awkward and a pattern for a traditional dress from the Southwest and Mexico.  The traditional dress would be very hard to wear outside of a village or a resort.


Overall, this collection is a winner for me.  30s and 40s vibe, feminine details, artistic design, easy wearing clothing, a nod to modesty and sophistication (not an easy combo!).  

30 comments:

  1. Yikes! I don't think I even saw the summer Vogues! But this certainly looks like an interesting array and many possible happy sewing hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you have been busy helping your folks, which is a good thing. I will definitely pick up a few of these.

      Delete
  2. The KBrenne jacket caught my attention, I'd really like to make it for fall. The rest of the collection...I'm lukewarm, but something might grow on me. I do think the Tilton coat is wonderful, my mom had a 'car coat' like that. You'd be cute in it, looks fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car coat is a cool idea...and MAYBE in a light sweater knit. No, it just would not get worn in this climate. The KBrenne jacket would look marvelous on you Coco.

      Delete
  3. I love that you used the tech drawings instead of whatever ungainly foolishness the models were forced into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though it makes for a less sparkley blog! Thus the SBetzina sample at the top.

      Delete
  4. You're right on top of things as I just saw the new Vogue collection last night. I agree with many of your choices including the Donna K V1465 jacket, the Sandra B coat/vest, and the Marcy T V9130 top. All of these will need careful fabric selection calling for knits, pontes, and rayon - all drapey fabrics. Thanks for the review. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I am looking forward to sewing the SandraB coat in a rayon or silk crepe.

      Delete
  5. I liked the collection too. That Donna Karan jacket will definitely become part of my pattern collection and even though I like the Marcy Tilton pieces, it's not really my style. It was a good pattern offering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, you will look wonderful in that jacket. It is a great business look.

      Delete
  6. Those choices look interesting especially as you've used the tech drawings. I also appreciate your petite warnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the petite warning was made with you, me, and others in mind!

      Delete
  7. I saw M.Tilton's coat and pants on Facebook. I liked the pants detailing at the hem area. Not sure about the coat - I would never wear it here. I think you would have fun sewing one of these patterns you highlighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I like the details on the pants also.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, I'm off to look at them now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine! Hope you find something for your wardrobe. Oh, I want to tell you that I finally made up the pattern you sent me-Marrakesh pants-and will do a review or blog post. Thank you SO much...I love them.

      Delete
  9. What is the pattern number for the last dress?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the pattern number for the last dress?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty patterns this go round.. Thanks for sharing, I had not seen them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome-I enjoyed analyzing the collection.

      Delete
  12. Just found your blog. I, too, am a sewist in Tucson, new to the area. Do you know if there's a meet-up group of some kind for garment sewers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Glad you found me and welcome to Tucson. I joined ASG when moving here and that has provided some time with other garment sewers. I'd love to find a smaller meetup group but haven't seen any on the Meetup website. My email is in the margin and I am happy to respond to email.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for highlighting these, you're right, many good and interesting designs. Love the "little girl with attitude" jacket. The Tilton coat and pants, and the top, are all good. I could go on and on (but I won't...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little coat is cute, and I wish I had a little one to sew for.

      Delete
  14. There seems to be two schools of thought regarding this collection - some love it, some don't. I guess it does come down to a matter of lifestyle - these garments are quite relaxed. I like the Brenne and Donna Karan jackets - I think the Tilton and Betzina could be either wonderful or woeful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wonderful or woeful... hahahaa

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the modern edge you have given to this pattern, simply through your choice of fabric. Thanks to these design clothes online tutorials I am well on my way to creating my own stuff!.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.