Sunday, June 21, 2015

Matching plaid or how to stay busy inside at 110F

I bought this fabric some years back and finally found the courage to use it.  Yes, it's plaid...and it is crinkley gauze.  The stretch is looooong and the weave is very loose.  It is cute though, yes?

I cut the pattern out using a single layer, and was successful in matching the main features of the plaid.  

I don't know what I did with that left dart but let's just call it good until I get all of the top together.  
I am using B5924 View B and plan to use this top with jeans for riding.  I cut a 10 through the shoulders and a 12-14 elsewhere.  This pattern has ABCD cup sizes and I chose to use the C cup size.  We will see if I choose right.  I have been weight lifting and walking on the treadmill 3 x/week.  Only 2 lbs down so far.  

As I was sewing the pieces together, I got a bit frantic about whether to match it vertically or horizontally as the pattern has tops and bottoms to each front and back.  I matched horizontally as that was most obvious.  On the back I matched horizontally first and discovered a way to be more accurate.  

I basted each dark band first, and then basted on the stitching line.  After checking, I stitched right over the basting.  If this were not for riding, I would stitch next to the basting and then remove it.  

Here is what the result is on the center back seam.
 I am happy with this and know that any un-matched spots won't be visible as I am riding.  No one looks at me anyway as my horse Nick is so strikingly handsome!

Besides exercising any OCD tendencies with plaid, I have also set aside some projects to sew through the summer heat.  Organizing pattern and fabric together keeps me focused on my wardrobe choices and lessens distraction from other sewer's projects.  I love to see what everyone else is creating, and I am easily led :-) so this helps me keep to my program.  

I need loose, stylish clothes for kicking around town and these patterns will help.  Next up will be another Ina skirt in this marvelous cotton knit I found at Hancock's for 50% off.  I love these greens and they look awful next to my face but in a skirt...they will be gorgeous :-)  
I hope everyone is staying busy, happy and engaged in creative pursuits.  

24 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with greens – love 'em, but look ghastly with them next to my face. Sewing looks like a good way to pass the time indoors when it's beastly hot outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm riding or walking the dog at 6:30 each day, and am done by 8. It is impossible to be outside.

      Delete
  2. I'm melting at 81' . Such an Oregonian wimp. Your scattered descriptions of hot leave me sweaty and cranky.
    Love the skirt pattern and your fabric choice will be dynamite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You truly get used to a higher temp, but above 100 is just plain too hot.
      The other night we walked in temps of 94 and while we were slow, we were not in pain. :-)

      Delete
  3. Mary I m so impressed with your organisation skills. Your right it's so easy to get swayed by a pattern or fabric that just doesn't go with your existing wardrobe. Love how you have bagged it all up. I m stripe matching at the moment, is not an symmetrical pattern, sending me gaga!! I really couldn't tolerate that kind if heat, the thought of it makes me want to lay down:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sewing some lightweights at the moment but the weather here is coolish and damp so I am just wishing for something a bit warmer so that I can get them out of the cupboard. I can't imagine how you cope with 110 degrees but staying inside seems the best option. That top looks perfect to me. Nick will be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, your climate is sounding very attractive right now. :-)

      Delete
  5. With So Oregon heating up to 108 this weekend...we all will be looking for lightweight clothes to sweat in! Matching plaids is so satisfying and oh so fiddly! The new skirt pattern just looks so nice and your fabric so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that long range forecast.
      Gah. 108'?

      Delete
  6. That looks like its going to be a lovely top... that's perfect fabric for a hot day.
    I do the same thing with pattern/fabric projects and probably for the same reason - I'm easily distracted... look another shiny thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work with the gauze! Feel my admiration...I just tossed a piece of embroidered black gauze AND a pattern because they were both just awful. I still have 5 yds, yes, 5, of white gauze. Diapers anyone? It scares me! I'm with you on matching patterns and fabric visually, but I do it on Evernote. Result is the same - I don't lose ideas.

    Nick really is handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco! Admiration from you is golden :-) I'm laughing at your black, embroidered gauze...it sounds so nice...in theory! I have some cream colored gauze and that will be a relief after this damn plaid.

      Delete
  8. Mary, I have to tell you I too have some of that same crinkly cotton in my stash. I was just handling it yesterday letting it decide what it wants to be. Maybe a gauzy little loose card type jacket to cover up in intense sun or a cool evening. I really need fabric sorting hat! It says it might be a nice skirt too, but that certainly limits wearability. Some fun sewing there. Have you made the Hot Patterns pants yet or will this be a maiden make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were we together when we bought this fabric? gad! Do NOT use a pattern with design lines.

      Delete
  9. I am really impressed with your matching skills on crinkle gauze, it has been a long time since I saw or sewed with any, but I was never brave enough to use anything but a solid color! Keeping planned sewing projects prepared and ready seems like a great idea, particularly in the heat of oncoming summer... I am dreading the coming weekend, as it is forecast to be somewhere between 100 and 105 here in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Alison, 100 plus in Portland will be brutal. Do you have AC or a swamp cooler?

      Delete
  10. Fantastic plaid matching on that oh-so-cute shirt that will be perfect for riding! You will complement Nick's handsomeness well. :) Nice way to organize your sewing queue to stay on track and inspired. We've been socked in with a warmer than normal heatwave for weeks now with temps ranging in the mid-high 90s with heat indexes over 100. I.do.not.see.how.you.do.it. It is miserably miserable. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay cool Lisa! I will be sure to post a pic when I am done, on the horse :-)

      Delete
  11. The fabric you are working with looks just perfect for warmer weather. The top is coming along great. Thanks for highlighting the pattern. I love that it comes in the different cup sizes, and I am looking for some button up blouses for work next year. The view you are working on is just right with the cap sleeves. My classroom gets HOT, with no AC. I feel the same way about green. I love the color, but am not sure I can really wear it next to my face. Your organization system for summer sewing is admirable for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I think this pattern would be great in your wardrobe. I think it runs a little long, but you are taller than me so no worries there. I am looking forward to seeing what you make for your back to school wardrobe.

      Delete
  12. Your plaid matching is looking good. I agree about organizing as it helps keep one focused.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.