Sunday, April 19, 2015

random thoughts--->lead to a theme

                                                                    artist:mirtlemyth
                                                                    source unknown

Lately, I have had an overwhelming need to avoid...stuff.  I want to spend time sewing, but not fitting.  I plan riding times, but not elaborate trail rides with others.  Cooking is happening because one must eat, but menus are lacking variety.  Isn't it interesting that the busier we are internally, the more we need to simplify our outer lives?

If you are still working, be prepared during retirement for the exact same angst which arises for you on Sunday evenings. The difference is that the feeling may arise at any time, Sunday being irrelevant to retirement, and you must learn to navigate the feeling without blaming yourself. 

So, what do you do with that awful feeling?  It surely helps to acknowledge it, and perhaps try to carve some quiet time into your schedule.  For me, this feeling is a signal that I am moving toward a burst of creative work.  That creative work needs me to manage the angst before emerging.  

Here is an interesting article about mindfulness.  

Of all the creative flurries swirling around in my head, one involves pattern manipulation.  I am at that point in my sewing development in which pattern instructions are not necessary all the time, and I find myself just sewing.  I have, though, sewed myself into corners from time to time and had to back out by ripping out!  

Right now, I am interested in the design features of a garment and how they translate into a pattern piece.  For example, this week I am finishing a Vogue top with a J shaped armhole.  The binding pattern is only a straight bias strip.  Why didn't Vogue include a shaped facing?  The bias strip works in the fabric I am using, but it is awkward along the J curve.  

I  attended an ASG event in Tucson this month featuring Louise Cutting.  What a great workshop! Love her designs, or not, you must admit there is lots to learn about patternmaking from working with her patterns.  Here are a few in the queue for summer.






Another pattern I am anxious to try is this layered top by Lorianne Patterns. 

We are continuing to improve our townhouse.  The back yard is now graveled with pet friendly small gravel, and we are considering one more shrub.  We want to keep the look very clean for a Zen feel, and also for safety.  The shrubbier, the more snakey.  I found a shed snake skin in the Arizona room the other day.  I go in and out many times a day-this snake was completely invisible to me...eek.   


More later this week...today I visit family in Phoenix.  Happy sewing,  
   Mary




14 comments:

  1. the ups and downs of life - I used to have very similar sorts of feelings, but have found that with age this has lessened - thank goodness! Hope you get to the creative spot soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am there...even more so after writing this blog. Thanks Sarah Liz

      Delete
  2. I'm not in retirement but unemployed after staying home with my son but I find I need more than one thing to focus on and the more time I have the more I waste. I've started reading that article but my mind is wandering to an appointment I have soon so I'll read it when I get back. Quick glance tells me I can't avoid doing some meditation... I'm not good at it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about meditation is that you benefit doing it at whatever level you are. I laughed to read your comment about the appt.

      Delete
  3. I read your post this morning and it struck a chord for the similarities in my brain at the moment. While weeding this morning (no snakes here, thank god), I was contemplating what happened to shift my mindset.
    I recognize the round and round obsessive angst that I need to get my head around in order to go forth in my creativity which in turn moves my mood upwards. Meditation helps but sometimes the timing just has to right in order to 'listen'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I really love what you said about creativity moving your mood upwards. That is so true, but it had not occurred to me that it was so directly related. Great insight, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Mary.. I so understand ... Since retiring.. I seem just as busy as I was when I worked every day.ha I told my husband the other day.. I think I have slowed down, it takes me twice as long to accomplish the same task.ha..
    I haven't been sewing much.. [Life has been busy]. But, I am anxious to get started again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, I have slowed down also. Working as a teacher was so frenetic. I hope you get back to sewing soon!

      Delete
  5. Love your pattern choices and look forward to seeing your new top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,I am writing the review today and will post on PR, and here.

      Delete
  6. Oh, new pattern company alert for me at least! Must go check it out. I have found that random thoughts aren't all that random....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am attending a Retirement Success class now as I am eligible later this year. The class is about the financial side, but maybe I need retirement class in mental and physical preparation as well. I love classes with Louise. She is a great person, has wonderful sewing tips, and her garments are always inspiring. That tank top pattern and one for the vest shown in the photo are in the top of the pattern heap on my sewing table. I hope to get to them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audrey, I wish you the best as you prepare for retirement. It is a giant change, and one I am happy I made. Loved the Louise Cutting class and found her very funny.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.