Friday, April 24, 2015

Marcy's Cirque Dress V 9112

How much do I love this dress?  ------------------------>infinity

I love the airiness of the body of the dress, and the fit through the shoulders.  I love the collar, with it's quirky pleats.  I love that the collar stands up, or folds down, and seems to find a place of rest on my own collarbones.  

I love that the dress is open and feminine and suggestive of my form underneath, without highlighting every detail.  I do not have the body of a lanky model-I am short, muscular, and curvy.  My figure has never suggested a languid lady as we often see on envelope art.  Hiker, camper, rider, survivor-my body is strong  and looks it.  Any clothing which highlights my softer side is welcome.

When first looking at the pattern pieces, I could not fathom why one was shaped like Lake Michigan and another like a paramecium.  And, what about those half circles?  At least those were clearly the circles of the Cirque dress.  

It is a fun dress to sew, especially if you enjoy jigsaw puzzles!

I sewed this in a small and must confess that the fit isn't perfect through the bust.  This is entirely my fault and I now must wear the one bra which does not lift my girls upwards.  I do want to make the dress again, with some attention to fitting the bust area.  The shoulders are just right, and the length is fine.  I am 5'1" and I did not change anything on the pattern to allow for petite.



Highly recommended for those of you who love a summer dress, and have a slightly artsy vibe.

I leave you with more Arizona blooms: yellow bell in the middle, Texas ranger not yet blooming, and hibiscus with a layer of annuals.  Click to biggify and ignore that hideous plastic pot.



27 comments:

  1. Cute dress. Looks great on you, and you're really looking good as is your yard! What kind of gravel have you used? It looks smaller than pea gravel to me and it's just what I want for the New Mexico yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought from Sonoran Rock and it is called 3/4" Yavapai. It is from the Phoenix area. He said it is popular with dog owners as it doesn't hurt to walk on.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Don't know if they have the exact same thing in LC, but I'm going to have Dale look for that instead of pea gravel! Looks so much better!

      Delete
  2. The dress is darling on you...and you are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous on you! I can see that I am definitely going to have to add length, but I was able to get the pattern today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, if I recall, you are 5'8"? Yes, add length. I even used the recommended hem of 5/8". Thank you :-)

      Delete
  4. Pretty dress, Mary. And it suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as pretty as I thought it would be from the peek on your last post. Wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks adorable on you Mary! Have you planned out the next one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I wonder if you have seen the TV show from the UK called "The Great British Sewing Bee"? I found it rather by accident on You Tube. I recommend it. It's everyday sewers competing in various areas of garment sewing. It's fun, it's free from put downs and the contestants seem to help each other in a friendly way. Let me know if you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the right dress for wearing in your lovely desert garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Mary especially the collar and of course the colour, which looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this Mary especially the collar and of course the colour, which looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So rewarding to have a dress pattern that you love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great dress, it looks perfect on you. I love your desert garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary i am so glad you are giving this pattern the love it deserves! And your pictures do a fantastic job of letting dress-loving ladies know they should run, not walk, towards the Vogue store to pick up their own copy of this gorgeous and practical design.

    I made my first version of this dress and love it as much as you do! I am 5'5", hourglass/inverted triangle which shows this dress will work on a variety of figures.

    Very excited to see your next iteration of this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fabulous in your new Cirque Dress, Mary! Thanks for giving us a hint about the length - though I'm only about 2-1/2" taller than you are. My copy of that pattern is on the slow boat so I can't start yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flattering dress. Definitely happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dress does look wonderful on you. I'll bet it was an interesting sewing experience, what the odd pattern shapes and seaming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dress! Flattering fit and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dress is so stylish, yet looks easy to wear as well. A winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I would never consider this dress for my rather sporty life but your version looks simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.