Thursday, April 23, 2015

desert beauties

As much as I love the desert, it is a harsh and unyielding place.  Before this year, I had only spent winters in the southwest, and that is probably akin to a first date.  I'm learning more about the rhythms of the climate, and my own are changing to suit.  I am slowing down and happy to not focus on excellence in every endeavor.  Of course, this could be age and wisdom.

Yesterday I took a walk before dinner to capture some blooms on camera.  There are so many (I almost typed "on this roll") so I'll space them out over the next few posts.


Palo verde in bloom  


Prickley pear


Looking up through the common area with a Mexican Bird of Paradise in the foreground.

I have been sewing in anticipation of slow summer days and hot date nights.  Below is V9067, both top and pants.  The photo is from a review on PR in which I blast the top and praise the pants. Because I love the colorblocking, this top will be undergoing surgery to see if it can be saved.  Loose is good, but this shape is almost weeple people territory.  

I had hoped to be the first to review Marcy Tilton's new dress, V9112, but I was slow out of the gate.  I am almost done with my version and I LOVE IT.  It is very feminine and soft, with some interesting style lines.  The collar is terrific, and the bubbles (half circles) at the hem are fun.  I have hem, armholes, and collar facing to do this afternoon.  Here it is on my form.  




This is a fast sew once it is cut out, but I caution new sewers to take their time.  The bubbles have curved seams, which must be eased into the dress seams.  Also, the gathers must be sewn at that time.  I am not completely happy with the gathers and will probably unpick some and resew.  I'll add details about changes I made when I review this.  I think this is one of Marcy's best designs.  

We have finished the back yard with 3/4 inch rock, and added some accent flowers in containers.  Last night I was moving rocks in our dry riverbed and came across a visitor. My husband bravely captured it and relocated the little fella into the wash behind our house.    


I hope everyone is enjoying spring and making lots of pretty things for their home, garden and self.  











17 comments:

  1. Love the pictures and reading about your plans. What do you think about the length of the dress? I don't remember how tall you are, but would love to know if you find it to be a good length. I'm not nuts about my knees....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, the length seems pretty good. I hemmed it according to directions because to change the hem with all those pieces would be a killer. I am very short 5'1" Hope to have this done Friday am.

      Delete
  2. Too slow out of the gate? My Joann Fabric didn't even have the pattern in stock yet (although, to be fair, they said they put them out as soon as Vogue sends them). I am hoping to make this dress sometime this summer:)

    I think North Texas is hostile (we've already seen two copperheads in our yard), so I imagine southern Arizona is much more so. Keep cool this summer if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, make that three. My husband just killed another one this afternoon.....

      Delete
    2. Angela, that is too scary. Is there anti-venom for copperheads? Rattlesnae anti-venom is ultra expensive, but of course, most people have insurance. I worry about my little dog, and my horse. I think vet care is around 7K.

      Delete
  3. I love the collar on that dress! Am eager to see the dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, the collar is very fun. Just making it allowed me to see so many possibilities in other garment collars.

      Delete
  4. Loving the flower pics. Not so crazy about your vagrants visiting.
    Can't wait to see how you fix your color block shirt. Nice colors on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Aren't the flowers gorgeous? I am going to slice the color block shirt up the backas a first try.

      Delete
  5. Mary,
    such beautiful flowers.. Proud you are getting out and enjoying them.
    I love your pants /blocked top..looks pretty on you..
    I bet the dress is going to be great too.. happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live you mix of sewing and life! Can't wait to visit your neck of the woods. Hopefully September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you mentioned slowing down - I'm about the same age as you, and am starting to feel the same way.

    I can see what you mean about the top - fantastic fabric, so if you can make it a little less voluminous I think you will have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics. and the palo verde. We lived in Palos Verdes, CA, when I was little, I've always liked the tree and it's unusual bark. The dress is gorgeous...I've been so tempted by this pattern. Your fabric is a lovely cool color. Refreshing. As for the scorpion - oooo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I love your rendition of the dress but for me at least it is so close to the Sewing Workshop Tosca dress and I can count the number of times on one hand in 5 years I've really needed to wear a dress. That collar though...I could translate that piece onto other makes....
    Well, bravo Ross. I squish the little fluorescing devils when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea the desert was as beautiful! Obviously dangerous, too. But what is light without dark? For myself, I've never been sure about Marcy Tilton designs though I love them on others, including of course you. I like the colour blocking and fabric on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea the desert was as beautiful! Obviously dangerous, too. But what is light without dark? For myself, I've never been sure about Marcy Tilton designs though I love them on others, including of course you. I like the colour blocking and fabric on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so happy to hear you speak of the "slowing down" stage. I am so happy with my days but it means they are not as full as they could be and I was wondering how to tackle that change and my image of myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.