Monday, January 19, 2015

Reading 2015

Reading is a solitary pleasure, but sharing books we love is not.  Through determination and luck, I have found and joined a terrific reading group here in Tucson.  Here is our reading list for 2015:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
Nora Webster by Colm Toibin
Euphoria by Lily King
Redeployment by Phil Klay
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

On recommendation from Margy of A Fool for Fabric, I'm currently reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  This is the perfect book for a long, delicious weekend away from all things important.  It's a psychological thriller about a woman who becomes emotionally involved in a murder investigation.  

Station Eleven is a novel set in a post apocolyptic world which goes far beyond the genre onto a dark story of ambition, emotional honesty, connections and survival.  I loved this book, and found it just odd enough to keep me reading.  

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller is a favorite of mine.  It was first recommended to me by Theresa of Camp Runamuck.  Another post apocolyptic novel, but far more than that.  Both novels will stay with you as they are more about human nature than disaster and renewal.  

Finally, for those times when all you want is to forget the last wadder in your sewing room, read this: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.  Well written, interesting premise, and easy to breeze through.  

Bathrobe update: my fabric arrived and it is beautiful. Yesterday I cut out all the small pieces in contrasting fabrics, and today I'll interface the collar/facings and make piping.  Yes, I am going super slow.  Partly I want to practice appreciation for each garment I make, and partly I am busy.  

Today is my day to attend a meeting (suit up and show up), then I need to run to the feed store for wood pellets to soak up moisture in Nick's corral.  Then the farrier is coming to trim and assess his feet.  

He has shown a little bit of offness (not really lame...just picking up a  foot a bit higher) at the trot in the right fore and I am on it like butter on toast.   I've been resting him, walking  with him, massaging his shoulder and leg, and generally babying him.  Yesterday I turned him out and sat with him reading my Kindle...he couldn't figure it out.  Why aren't we playing? 

Until later,  Mary


16 comments:

  1. Moisture? Is it the rainy season there? I do hope whatever is bothering Nick resolves quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, the summer is monsoon season and the winter has gentle rains. We got the edge of that big storm which hit the west coast. In addition, the overhangs don't have gutters, and the rain pools along there, plus urine! Horsekeeping is very different here in the urban desert.

      My barefoot trimmer spent a long time assessing, trimming and looking at balance. The bars had actually folded over in the back feet (last trimmed 6 weeks ago) and one of the front frogs was split deeply. He said due to hygiene situation and very common in AZ. Nick didn't show any tenderness with the hoof testers. I think it is in his shoulder.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Mary...I've read all the books on your book group's list except "Redeployment" and that's in my queue...I'll be interested to hear what you think about them. You sound busy...and that's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll update here or on Goodreads. I've read 4 of them.

      Delete
  3. I do hope Nick is OK. Whenever I moan about a hip or leg ache my doctor says it's bursitis :-) Great mental vision of you reading and him gazing at you with some confusion. Thanks for book discussion. I enjoy reading about what friends are reading and should include more of that in my own blog. It's nice you've found a comfortable reading group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bursitis-that's what Nick has :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendations. I loved The Dog Stars and since you did too, I will trust you on the other selections. Off to check my local library for Station Eleven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read some of them already and loved them. I think you will like Station Eleven :-) Have you been on Goodreads? It's a great place to get book recommendations.

      Delete
  5. Nice list and how fun to have found a reading group! Hope you can pinpoint Nick's problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to have a good reading group. This particular one has been together for a few years and while some members come and go, there is a core of people who attend regularly.

      Delete
  6. Glad you found a good reading group to be a part of. Hope Nick improves and looking forward to seeing your bathrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, my bathrobe is taking a long time!

      Delete
  7. How nice to find a good reading group where you live - it's not easy settling into a new place and making connections. I hope all goes well with Nick so that he is back playing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in a book club too, and our monthly meetings are so much fun! I've really enjoyed making friends with these women. Our book list does not overlap with yours at all, so I will be interested to hear what you think of these selections.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela, I would love to see your book list. We should compare throughout the year :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.