Friday, December 26, 2014

Tucson Christmas 2014

Developing your own traditions takes some amount of courage.  You have to break away from the crowd and spend energy not at the mall but maybe in your craft or sewing room.  You might not stand in line at the post office with a stack of cards, but send only a few.  The Dinner (meant to be capitalized) is not turkey or ham with all the trimmings, but perhaps enchiladas or tomato soup and grilled cheese.  


This year my husband and I shared some special times which are sure to be a part of the 2015 holiday.  This year we went to a nearby park for lights and music and hot chocolate. 


Walking through the park we came upon this lovely horse, surrounded by cactus.  What a special place to rest and watch the sunset.

As it got darker, different areas of the park became even more magical as the lights became the focus.


We listened to some music


and admired some art.


Not all our new traditions are cultural-some just involve good hiking shoes.  We hiked Pima Canyon, found 10 minutes from our new home.  







Christmas Eve dinner was at Lodge on the Desert, a hotel near the University of Arizona.  This was a private home built in 1931 and is so elegant and charming. 






I was able to wear my second version of B5890 in a wine colored ponte.  Review will follow in a day or so.  


Christmas afternoon we saw "Wild", with Reese Witherspoon.  Marvelous film!  2 thumbs up.  We then visited our cousin Susie, always an experience :-)  She is a lovely older lady who is very dear to us.  

I wish you all the best in finding what stirs your heart and feeds your soul in the coming year!  Mary

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas making new memories. You look great and the dress is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horse with the cacti is beautiful!
    I love your dress, I think I might have that pattern in stash.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for making your own holiday traditions. I really need to figure out how to do this, as my husband and I tend to have pretty boring holidays.
    On my husband's birthday, the 19th, we went to see Wild. I agree it's a very good movie. A couple of days later we found out Cheryl Strayed is half of an advice column duo, and they're starting a podcast on our local WBUR PBS radio station in January! If you're interested, you can find an introductory podcast on wbur.org. Just search by her name and you'll find it. She's quite well spoken and very talented.
    I've enjoyed getting to know you better this year. Wishing all the best to you in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely Christmas you two had.. So happy for you.. Such lovely memories you made.. And breaking away from the tradition, sounds lovely. the cactus with lights was beautiful.. thank you for sharing the lovely photos and wonderful new traditions.
    Love your dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds just lovely. It's good to be making yourselves new memories in your new home! Happy New Year! Love the dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta make your own memories and traditions if you aren't happy with the old ones! Glad you had a great holiday and you look fabulous, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a wonderful Xmas day with the man you love. You have had quite an up and down year, so this was a good way to end it - and a good way to feel your way into the New Year.

    I agree, finding traditions that suit you is very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. that dress really suits you - or you it :)

      Delete
  8. So pleased you had a enjoyable Christmas, love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty is that park with the horse! That's it, I want a horse statue and some twinkle lights for next holiday season! ;)
    Glad you two had a great first holiday season in the new digs. And the dress is hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful Christmas you and your husband had :)
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Love your dress and color. You look beautiful, Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The adventure called life allows us to change paths and find new venues to excite us and make all new memories. So happy you are adjusting to life in the desert and your dress is very flattering. Eating new regional foods is an added bonus! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress was so pretty & stylish . Can't wait for the review . I bought ponte last trip to NYC to see DGD , but have been unsure what to make .
    Glad you made some new traditions - desert Christmas has its own special magic. I've enjoyed "finding " your posts this year as your new neighbor 70 miles north .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy you and DH are finding your way by breaking new ground together. Your Christmas looks and sounds wonder full. Bernie, Avril and I are also finding our way since the ground shifted beneath our feet this year. We just got confirmation for our 2nd Christmas trip to the Yucatan in 2015. And also, I loved that Butterick dress pattern so much, I ordered it on ebay. Thanks for making it up, plus inspiring me again and again on many fronts dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you're settling in well. Adore that lit-up horse surrounded by cacti.
    What a gorgeous place to sit and dream.
    Beautiful dress - looks like you had an elegant dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DH and I love Lodge on the Desert. We stayed there a couple of winters ago and had a wonderful time. The restaurant there is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas! My Christmas Day highlight was riding my horse. ;-)

    Just got back from a quick trip to Medford to see my sis who was visiting her FIL. Talked to Theresa on the phone and visited Web-sters. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Had to stop by and see if I could comment after your reply at PR.

    Looks like you had a lovely time - I enjoy seeing little snippets of life around the globe on blogs everywhere.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been ages since I dropped by, good to see you are still sewing and looking glamorous though! Happy new year! (by the way, I've had trouble posting comments on here, or at least I thought I did, so if there are 3 other comments on here from me just delete them!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! Starting new traditions is always fun, and I really like the part about the Dinner being out. :D Your dress is perfect. Gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.