Thursday, November 20, 2014

Still here, and checking in with you

Hi Readers,  I am still here...recovering well from my bout of pneumonia, sewing some nice pants and tees, riding and in general, enjoying my life.  I have a backlog of posts and pictures to share...my computer is in the shop and for some reason, I am having trouble with my camera/laptop relationship.  As Rosanna Rosannadanna said, "It's always something". 
 
Our house is becoming a home slowly.  We had a brickmason come in and reset our front patio-what a difference!  No more broken pieces, big dips, or unparallel lines (there is probably a construction term for that).  We also had the windows professionally cleaned until we can replace them and had some screens made.  The front of the house has been sealed, so we are ready for next year's monsoons.  These are all projects that cost bucks, and don't have a showy value.  But all together, they make the house look a bit more cared for. 
 
MONEY...we have now spent most of our profit from the Oregon house. 
1. one serious piece of art
2. some inexpensive pieces, and some folk art
3. furniture for the dining room/office combo
4. furniture for the sewing room (I put together)
5. landscaping front and back yards (we did lots of this)
6. servicing AC/heater combo and setting up service contract
7. repairing garage door and header (Ross did this)
8. new blinds for living room, dining room and sewing room blinds repaired
9. drapes for our bedroom
10. repairs to roof (flat roof needs upkeep), and parapet
11. minor plumbing repairs (Ross did these)
12. repair wall, windowsills, woodwork (we are doing this)
13. paint as above is done (we are doing this)
 
I shipped my horses here from Oregon, and that was a needed expense.  The cost of boarding is a bit higher here, and vet/farrier care is quite a bit higher. 
 
We drive more here, but have a Prius which averages 56mpg. 
 
There are so many places to go and things to see!  We are spending more on entertainment, and also on gym membership as we found that necessary in the hot summer.  We've also gone to the movies more here, and spent more on take out.
 
For those of you contemplating a move such as ours (from rural to city), there are costs to it.  Those costs are offest by the excitement of restaurants, theatre, dance, art and culture.
 
We are excited about our new life as desert dwellers, and love seeing our home develop.  I can't imagine not doing this.   

27 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're over your pneumonia and settling in. My daughter loves being in Portland and found out early on that it is more expensive. She bikes everywhere which helps with finances. Currently, she's off in Guatemala and Costa Rica for the winter.
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I love Portland! It is a lovely city.

      Delete
  2. So nice to hear from you. I'd missed your post on the pneumonia. Glad you're getting better. I've had it too and finally got a vaccine this year to prevent future episodes. Nasty, nasty stuff. Love hearing about your house. Ours may be coming along before too far in the future. Can't wait to hear more. Feel well, my friend and take care of yourself. Listen to your body and nap as much as you need. Everything will wait for you.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lynda! Yes, I have been napping every day, which is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are well and riding, and the move sits well with you. It would not for me; my idea of good entertainment involves watching animals, and birds, and clouds, sun and moon. Which is a good thing, considering our financial situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Tucson is interesting because there are washes throughout the city which provide habitat for animals. Lots of nature even in the city. Your part of Oregon is idyllic.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're on the mend, Mary! Sounds like you're settling into your new home nicely. I'm so glad it was worth the major move! Hope to see some of your new sewing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa, I took pics but haven't imported them yet. Promise I will post them soon.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear you are doing well! (Long time reader, first time commenter!)

    Can't wait to see your makes, and I hope you recover fully from the pneumonia soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, how nice that you have commented. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm glad to hear your feeling well, and you're liking your new city life. It was a gutsy move to make, and I'm happy for you it all turned out well. Enjoy! And I look forward to seeing what you've been sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie, I want to get back to my sewing and posting routine. Your work has been so fun to read about.

      Delete
  7. Glad you are doing well, Mary! Enjoy your life and take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana, thank you...I am focusing on healthy living. This morning I went back to my yoga practice :-)

      Delete
  8. Ah, yoga, too! Lovely to see a new post from you. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga on Thursdays and Sundays at the clubhouse. We use a tape, and it is geared toward beginners. It is a good way to step back into it and I'll find a studio when my health improves further.

      Delete
  9. Glad you are feeling well & adapting to our desert way of life .
    From a neighbor 100miles north :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowser, you are a busy person! Tucson sounds like a wonderful place to live, such a nice mix of culture and opportunity. So nice that you and Ross enjoy so much of it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am busy. I haven't listed all the animal chores but there is a lot.

      Delete
  11. You are reminding me that it is not just possible to build a full new active life somewhere new but can be enjoyable along the way. Glad you are healing and getting to enjoy so many activities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are feeling better, Mary! I hadn't thought about the fact that you'd moved from a rural setting to an urban setting - I was too much focused on the vast climate difference between the two areas. I don't know what the construction term is for that process, but in pattern making, I'd call it "truing" up the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truing is a perfect word for what was done to our brick patio. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. SO proud your feeling better..Sounds like your house is coming together.. So happy your enjoying your new home.. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY that you are recovering well and enjoying your new life!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.