Saturday, November 29, 2014

Redecorating my life

Years ago we had hamsters.  Also a series of rats, which make lovely pets.  Hamsters are skittish, whereas rats love to interact.  But, I digress. 

We had hamsters.  Hamsters love to make their homes extra special.  If you change anything in their habitat, they will fuss and fume until all is put back exactly the way they want it.  We would call this "fiddling with the nest", a phrase that now is in our own lexicon.  Hamsters are also nocturnal and we would go to sleep listening to this furious activity.

I have been "fiddling with the nest".  Do you like the changes?  Besides the background changes, I added a fun widget from Pinterest.  Go click on the separate photos, or just the title.  It will give you a preview of what is in my sewing room right now.  This little widget makes such sense to me...I could write a blog post occasionally outlining my plans.  It seems much easier to just have this link, which will get updated automatically each time my plans change!  

Another big change is that I am moving my horses to a stable down the street from my townhouse.  Why did I not board there in the beginning?  One giant reason was money-it is $75 more per horse than most other stables.  So, I weighed my options and chose a place which was cheaper but 45 minutes away from my home.  I have friends on that side of town, and the barn is surrounded by trails.  But 90 minutes a day!!!  No wonder I have been feeling a bit harried.  Google says Sunkist Stables is 8 minutes from my home, but it is really 4 minutes.  If I walk, it will take about 25 minutes.  There are miles of trails, and we are about 20 minutes from Catalina State Park, which has superb riding.  My horses will need to get used to being tied at the
Nick will be in one of these to start, as he hates stalls.
Dairy Queen, as that is a popular Saturday ride for some boarders.  


AZ horses are almost always on dry lot, usually small pens.  Also notice most horses have fly masks on, which are essential.  The smells are not as nice as areas where there is grass pasture as urine pools on the sandy ground, and manure must be hauled off.   I have had to get used to a different style of horsekeeping, and trust that everything will be ok.  

I will be close, and can take care of details much more easily now.  Woodrow has had a number of health issues (habro or summer sore, and a colic incident), and I have driven out to the barn every day to put medicine on his sore, which takes 2 minutes.  In a small town, the barn owner would have offered to do it for me...not here in the big city :-(  One of my riding buddies offered, but I know she is busy teaching and so I said no thanks.
turnout, round pen, arenas, trails
I am excited to have a new place to explore and while I miss the open land and wilderness areas of Klamath Falls...it's fun to ride in a busy place too.  


Hoping to get Nick in one of these bigger corrals soon.



Woodrow will have a stall in the barn with turnout attached


After Monday, I will have 90 minutes more each day to sew :-)  Mary

8 comments:

  1. Your time is worth something; sounds like a good move to me! And IF you have time, walking to the barn sounds like a great plan -- exercise yourself AND Nick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I am working too many hours at the day job - it's not every week (for the overtime) and I am only 3miles from home. About a 9 minute commute. My switch to a closer job actually freed up time.
    Glad you put the horses closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where were you boarding before? Somewhere on the southeast side of town like along Houghton Road? I have childhood memories (I'm your age) of lots of stables and horses and riders along River Road. The city was so much smaller in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the new digs work out well for your four-footers, Mary! There's a lot to be said for keeping them closer. Not just the time but the gas and wear-and-tear on the vehicle too. If you can walk there, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found an alternative boarding facility close to home. It sounds like a smart move. Hope you get to ride more often, and sew more often, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 90 min a day is like commuting! I approve of the the change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to hear you're settling in happily. The countryside looks just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 90 minutes is too much - it must have cost quite a bit in fuel, as well as time, so this is a much better solution all round.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.