Sunday, October 19, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop has landed in Arizona

Coco, of Coco's Loft, passed me the blog hop baton last week.  Those of you who visit Coco know her to be stylish, casual, gorgeous, serene and creative.  I count her friendship a blessing in my life!

my photo, which has moved around Pinterest rapidly




So, here we are in arid Arizona after enjoying beach photos of Coco amid tropical lushness.  Here is my home-this is a photo I took in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, which is 2 hours from Tucson on the border of Mexico.  This is a popular crossing for Americans and Mexicans-we go down to the beach, and they drive up to shop.


Q #1: What am I working on?
In the immediate sense, I am trying to get well from some fever I got.  Off to the doctor tomorrow and I think she will say I have Valley fever.  I will let you all know.

This summer I worked to deplete my stash.  I want to start fresh, and perhaps only buy for specific projects.  hahahaaa, nice idea.  Isn't this a mess?  I just moved and really have had a hard time settling in.  Time...


Finally, I am always working to improve my writing.  I love to write, and keeping this blog has allowed me to develop my real voice.  Over years, this blog has become a way for me to examine my thoughts and reactions to my life. Looking back at certain posts is powerful for me. I can see that no matter how I am buffeted, I
am still the same person.







Q #2: How does my work differ from others of its genre?
biblioblog has been here since Sept of 2009.  As a sewing blog, it is not as detailed as some and perhaps lacks a certain emphasis on technique.  Sometimes I will include process, but often will show start and finish pics, and discuss what worked and what did not.  I think everyone approaches the craft in different ways, and I love to learn about someone's creative process.

All that said, my blog is an opportunity to capture my development as an adventurous woman.  So, you will see posts about sewing, cooking, horse training, moving to a new state on the spur of the moment, and some loving emphasis on vintage finishing techniques.  I often take time to add hem lace to my clothing, stitching it with a herringbone stitch.

Q #3: Why do I write/create what I do?
That's the million dollar question...because it gives me pleasure.

Without detailing everything, my family disintegrated and as the youngest, I saw it all but could not reason why it was happening.  It was a slow process, punctuated with drama and death.
As traumatic as those years were, and the ones which followed, they are done but they put their mark on me.  Through the help of many people, and professionals, I learned to find strength in the scars.
I am a highly independent person, and deliberate, and tough.  These qualities are from my parents, who had them too, but lost their own way.

So, my sewing, and cooking, and riding, and sports, and hauling a large trailer, and going after a college degree before getting a HS diploma...these skills PROVE I am capable and reliable.  On a deeper level, all my activities are play for me.  I celebrate my brain, my heart, and my body every day.

Q #4: How does my writing/creating process work?
My urge to create something, to sew, cook, garden, or write builds within me.  This incubation might be one day or one year.  For example, our move to Arizona looked impulsive to our Oregon friends but I could feel myself moving away from Oregon for a long time before we made the decision.

I have learned to keep track of visual cues, or snippits, skipping across my subconscious, and to keep a notebook of thoughts.  I usually make general plans, leaving lots of room for inspired changes.  My sewing plans almost always begin as an outfit or a mini wardrobe, and then I fill in each garment as I go.  I love the process of seeing a theme emerge in my clothing.  This summer I made so many hi lo hems I was astounded when I checked.  Here is a recent blouse with a very modified hi lo hem and flirty girly collar-S 1693

I'm passing this baton onto starsthreads, a blog which is light, fun, and full of wonderful sewing!!



9 comments:

  1. Mary, it's so much fun to discovering more about you. I love your blog and thank you for being so cool about everything. You are a great women.
    I hope you get well fast and I can not wait to see more detail of your blouse, the flirty girly collar is so lovely and I am dying to make one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary - you are not the only one who had a childhood that left bruises - many of us have, and I believe it develops courage and resilience that many do not have - although it is a long and painful journey sometimes :).
    I always think of your adventurous spirit - not many people could tackle a young stallion - and it seems so in contrast to the sewing side, but really, I guess, it's just an outlet for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning - and thank you for such kind words. I feel the same about you, my friend. I love that you write with such transparency, this blog post is wonderful. You are an interesting person, and when you write about yourself, I'm always drawn into your story. And filled with admiration for your approach to life and your accomplishments.

    Valley fever - I hope not! I know it can be a bear, please us know. Take care, feel better soon, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Childhood shapes us in ways we discover as we move through life.
    Congratulations for allowing those experiences room so you can grow as an adult. There is so much more to do and to learn.

    So speaketh advice from someone who told her dad, "you are crazy!", when he wanted to move the old pool table to the (1/3 as big) new house for the nephews who visit once a year. I have spent the last week filled with remorse and amazement that I was able to say that to my father's face - instead of internalizing it.

    Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading your blog posts, seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. I am the oldest in my family, and only in the last ten years or so have I realized that my experience/perception of my family is not necessarily the same as that of my younger siblings. I am enjoying the contrast in life experiences, climate, and even in what/how we like to sew on this blog hop. I hope you feel better soon and that Arizona starts treating you better:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, Mary. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mary, for sharing about yourself. I enjoy reading your blog, and learn about both you and myself through it.
    I'm sorry to hear you're sick, and hope you get some answers - and some relief - very soon. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an interesting post. Thank you. It is always nice to see the person behind the blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.