Sunday, August 31, 2014

It's a hobby, not a job.

My most recent sewing project has been retired--->straight into the trash can.  I have been trying to make it work for about a week, and not only did the polyester fabric defeat me, but fitting became an issue also.  I cannot remember when so many things went wrong at once, and I could only keep going, shaking my head at the needle holes, the fraying edges, the poor technique, the lack of fit.  Life is too short...bye bye S 2174!








Landscaping and decorating also happened this month, and I was far more successful with those projects.  I bought a Sullivan sewing table and had a great time assembling it.  My serger now has a home- the table has 4 drawers, and can be folded up for a smaller surface.  It is very sturdy.  I'm enjoying having my drafting table, sewing machine table (another purchase) and serger all close to one another.  I am still looking for the correct chairs, and a good rug protector so I can roll around.

This is a Mexican Fairy Duster, a new addition to our back yard.
Below is a photo just for Coco, of the blog cocosloft.  She advised me that cinnamon would drive away ants, and she was right.  They don't like nutmeg either.  



Speaking of cinnamon, here is a fall skirt I made this month.  The knit is a sweater knit with wonderful horseshoe graphics and splotches of cinnamon color throughout.  


Though Nick does not wear shoes, he has had to transition from a softer environment to the hard, rocky ground of Tucson.  He has done pretty well, having redness for a few days, and some small ouchiness last week.  I rode him today and he was fine.  His feet are hard as iron right now, and the hoof looks strong.  I bought some Easyboots  (Trail version) and tried them last week.  These are slip on boots which look a bit like sneakers with velcro.  People use them on rocky terrain and for long distances.   He loved them.  No kidding, he was like a kid with new school shoes.  
 We had a visitor on the front porch, and he/she has since moved into the drainpipe.  
I'll talk with you soon, as I am now going to organize fabrics and patterns for the fabric stash contest on PR.  The more stash I sew, the more I can buy :-) 

Mary



16 comments:

  1. How funny that Nick likes his new boots! (Photos; I want horse photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your frustrating sewing project.. I so totally agree, when this happens..move on.. I do it quiet often. ha
    Love your skirt, so pretty.
    Have fun with the landscaping..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love your skirt. It combines southwest colors with fall colors - what could be better? I too have had some wadders, of late. It helps to see that it happens with other sewers too.

    Hope you post pix of your sewing room, once finished. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seconded: the horse with his booties and more landscape photos.

    I did not run into any garter snakes, nor cute rabbits, nor my squirrels while out trimming twenty x ten feet of my flower bed this morning. Trying to get things squared up before winter - and the fall pruning commences. I did pick some early apples to make a pie tomorrow.

    I tried to get into my sewing room today and I find myself doing everything possible to leave it. It needs to be cleaned up so I want to go in there. I need to do an Around The World Blog post for tomorrow and I'm procrastinating. I can leave that for tonight.
    Okay - heading back in....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your dress. I was having one of those weeks myself. Everything I touched I did upside down and backwards it seemed. Good to know about the cinnamon for ants. I've been dealing with peppermint oil for great big hunking spiders. Don't know if it would work on yours though. Love the skirt and the cowl on the dress form. Would like to chat with you about moving and furniture choices more later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I think it's super funny that Nick likes his new shoes too. I guess we all want to be fashionable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the dress:( I think I used a microtex needle when I sewed that fabric, which helped. There was no hand sewing the hem; the only way I could get it to work was with a narrow machine hem. We've only seen a couple of tarantulas since we've moved here (8 yrs). The first we caught and kept as a pet until he died (he was a very creepy pet, I admit). The second my oldest son filmed with his phone, which ended with some colorful language as the spider turned around and ran straight for him:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry the dress ended up in the trash. Sometimes that's the only way to move forward. Your new sewing area looks nice. Isn't it fun fixing it up the way you want it? You have such good outdoor light to work under. A nice spot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new skirt! In reference to the other than ended in the trash, sometimes that is the best thing to do and move on to the next project. Glad Nick is settling in well to his new environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Nick, such a fashionisto! Good for you, throwing away that dress. I just canned a jumpsuit, it aggravated me so much, I was grinding my teeth. Not worth it. Love that you've gotten furniture for your sewing space, I remember your conundrum before as to where to put the serger. It's so nice to have everything one needs to really enjoy a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, sister. I agree, it's a hobby, not a job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sewing room is shaping right up! And good news on Nick and his boot. I guess he always coveted a pair since he saw the big boys in them. Love the skirt. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad about the dress. The print and color of the fabric was very pretty, but some projects just don't work out. I like your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you removed the offending project, dusted it off your hands, and moved on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it is a hobby. And if something doesn't work, it doesn't need to! How many garments have I trashed, although DH has been asking why I don't bother finishing them and sending them to the thrift store. *shrug* I guess he's got a point, and it will be good practice! Great skirt. I love the colours. And I did not know that about cinnamon... I'm going to give my tiny neighbours a treat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Straight into the garbage can is where some projects just belong! Good for you for letting it go. You have so much going on!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.