Wednesday, July 2, 2014

hot nights

I've entered PatternReview's pattern stash contest.  This is one of those low anxiety contests in which everyone helps one another keep sewing through their old, old patterns.  I sorted my 200+ patterns and found a number I can enter into the contest.  First up is this nice tee shirt dress by McCalls:
Cute, huh?  Especially in that nautical stripe and on a slender boyish figure.  I knew that would not be what I would get.  I tend to more of a Christina Hendricks figure, without the boobs.


The McCalls pattern is really good, with options for 2 different necklines, 2 different sleeves, and gathered sides.  I am surprised it didn't get any more attention and is now out of print.  Only 4 reviews for the dress on PR!

I am a realist about my shape.  I knew I couldn't pull off a casual beach vibe, but I did know I could get some curves happening with this knit dress.  Here it is.

The neckline is a bit lower than the envelope promises, and I added a wide binding.  I also made this a sleeveless dress, as I look like a weightlifter in short sleeves.  I like this dress and will make it again in a more substantial knot.  This lycra blend requires serious attention to posture and maybe some Spanx.

Next up is a little shirt jacket using Simplicity 2059 and some deep maroon cotton blend from stash.

I am adding a cut on facing to the front center line and will probably use ties for closures.  It will be similar to Christine Jonson's Inset Jacket, but without the dropped shoulder.  I made that pattern up in April and I like the jacket but find the shoulder line unattractive on me.  This pattern will be more fitted.

It's hot here in Tucson :-) and we are waiting for the monsoons to begin.  I'm looking forward to the rain, and the greening.  The plants are pretty green right now so with more moisture it will be spectacular.  I've planted some vinca and some purple fountain grass in containers for the front patio, adding much needed color to our new home.  We drilled into the brick walls in the back and mounted 6 pieces of Mexican pottery we collected over the years.  We then planted some lantana in 3 of them.  I'll get some photos soon.  The outside is shaping up slowly, and we are enjoying ourselves.






21 comments:

  1. Just a tad of rain on the windshield late tonight as we drove home from dancing. Off to the southeast it looked like there might be true rain--not sure. But it smelled as if rain was coming! This weekend I'm muslining a pair of men's knickers for a Swedish dance costume and starting work on silly/ creative dance costumes for dance camp at the end of the month. Two dollar a yard silver metallic fabric from SAS will make perfect chain mail tunics for the medieval-themed dance party--I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sewing projects sound fun and challenging. Rain soon.

      Delete
  2. I love how you look in the snug sleeveless dress. I also second making the jacket with a more natural armhole- better than dropped. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. As for the dropped shoulder look, I love it in theory and am ALWAYS disappointed. What are you sewing?

      Delete
  3. You look wonderful in that dress and the print is really fun and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEAT! I love a simple knit dress and yours looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress.Looks great on you..
    I have the lissette pattern too, i have never used it.. Anxious to see yours.. Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I hope to use the dress pattern also.

      Delete
  6. I love the print of your new dress. The colors are perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie, the colors are terrific. I had fun laying out the pattern on the print too.

      Delete
  7. Lovely dress and I enjoyed reading about your new home. Hope you enjoy Tuscon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Martha, so nice to know you enjoyed my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first OR contest! I'm quite inspired and excited- one Hendricks babe to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely have it going on (as my brother liked to say). That's a compliment BTW.

      Delete
  10. Pretty dress & it looks hot on you! In a good way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bev...60 has been interesting for my mindset.

      Delete
  11. Good luck on the contest! Your knit dress looks very stylish, and I'm sure feels great with the summer heat. I am looking forward to seeing your front porch area when you get it all finished. Love the idea of purple colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful interpretation of the pattern - great choice of fabric - quite sophisticated, which is what 60 needs :) I'm not far behind you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. A hot look for hot nights! And I love the "Christina Hendricks without the boobs" description! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.