Monday, July 28, 2014

city style and day looks






Isn't this a beautiful piece of fabric?  I love paisley and this is a modernization of the design.  Deep blue, turquoise, teal, light blue, and bits of soft brown throughout.  This is a poly peachskin from JoAnn's which I will be using for a fall dress.














The B/W/grey print on the right is new too.   It is 100% cotton, has a very nice drape and is also from JoAnn's.  It reads as a leopard print from a distance, and on closer inspection looks like nuts and bolts.



Very different fabrics; very different styles.  Here are the patterns to be used.


 McCall's shirtdress M 5847

Simplicity's Amazing Fit series S 2174

Both patterns are from stash, and have been waiting for their time to shine, for the perfect fabric, and for inspiration.  I'll enjoy making both of these and wearing them here in Tucson.  While I have seen old tees and jeans occasionally here in Tucson, it is more common to see more attention to style and trend.  These two dresses are classic (especially the shirtdress) and I think I can wear either dress to many of my activities.

I love clothing with a touch of boho but I need to be careful as clothing can overwhelm me if there is too much volume.  I have made a few loose things this summer and while they are comfortable, I am only wearing them on dog walks and to the pool.  That is clear evidence that I prefer a more fitted look when I am out and about.

Can you match the pattern and the fabric?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I especially love the first fabric -- those are so my colors. The second fabric is interesting (in a good way). My guess is fabric #1 with pattern #2. Because of the drapiness of the pattern. I'll be interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that second pattern in my stash but keep putting off making it. I will be highly interested in hearing your experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the faux leopard in the shirtdress. Interesting about the higher style in Tucson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, these dresses are both quite different from the garments I have seen you make, so I am looking forward to seeing how these look. Gorgeous fabrics. I have the shirtdress pattern, so looking forward to finding out what you think of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will look fabulous in both dresses in both fabrics! I love them both! That print does read 'leopard' at first. Neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that paisley. It's almost enough for me to drive to joanns to see if it's still available.
    Paisley paired with amazing fit dress is my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would guess nuts and bolts with McCalls and paisley with Simplicity, but either way they will look great. I made a dress with the paisley and the colors are really pretty. On my recent plane trip I noticed that in general people were dressed nicer (I saw no pajama pants), so maybe it's a good trend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun fabrics! I love the paisley, and the comment about the leopard looking like nuts and bolts up close makes me smile. It's like steampunk jungle! I'm guessing the paisley with the Simplicity and the "leopard" with the McCall's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabrics and great cchoice of patterns! I too tend to want to sew intriguing patterns such as the ones S. Betzina, Marci and Katherine Tilton offer through Vogue Patterns , but I know a semi fitted is much more flattering to my figure. But there are times I just have to try a certain pattern knowing it won't be worn in public. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of the fabrics are nice. I LOVE paisley

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.