Tuesday, July 15, 2014

195 and counting

My self imposed rule on my pattern stash is a limit of 200.  I have gone beyond that, and when I do, something bad kicks in.  It's like me and alcohol---> Step One says "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and our lives had become unmanageable".  With patterns the exact same thing happens.  1 pattern, 2,3,...10 new patterns and so on.  I lose track of how many I buy, if I have the fabric to make them, how my buying is impacting the projects still unfinished on my work table.

I lose the LOVE of sewing and become focused on the next pattern.

For me and patterns, it is a reflection of my insecurity in the world.  I need that pattern because what if it isn't available when I want it in the future?  I need that pattern because I don't have ...something... I need that pattern so I can control my circumstances.  Pretty deep, huh?

View A as a fleece bed jacket
So, all that being said, I joined the PR Pattern Stash contest this month.  Of all my patterns, I have about 25 which are older than 6 months and have not been used at all.  Instead of trying to win the contest (another character flaw of which I am mightily aware), I am systematically matching a need in my closet with a pattern in my stash list.  I'm also using stash fabric because...well, I'm broke!  So far I have sewed up a sexy little knit dress, a demure woven shirt jacket, and a cute skirt.  Currently I am making a bed jacket using an old Butterick pattern and some sky blue fleece.  I think it will work if I can tame the 4 layers at the shoulder seams.

S 2059 shirt jacket over a Scout 
Mr. Biblioblog and I are settling into our new home in Arizona.  We had a business meeting this morning, in which we set aside some money for landscaping and window treatments.  That will pretty much use up what is left from the sale of the Oregon home, and we will be saving monthly for other projects.  Painting can be done by us, plumbing and tile work will need to be contracted out.  I think I am going to lose out on my plans to cut out some of the cabinets in the kitchen for a pass through or window.  We jumped into this house pretty fast, and we are only now coming up for air.  The choice was right, but that does not make a move like this any easier.  Buying a pattern or 2 might ease my pain though.
S 1887 flirty skirt and new haircut

M 6724 tee shirt dress

17 comments:

  1. Oh, you hit it right on the nail with one of the rationales we tell ourselves when pattern buying - what if it's not available when I need it? I have sooo overbought patterns through the years, and am switching to a box with all the culled patterns that I want to have in my wardrobe - 20 dresses, one pattern each for shorts, capris, and cargo pants, a few slacks and skirts, and one or two sun dresses. Then, a billion top patterns (OK, at least forty). I figure that once I get a few workhorse slacks, skirts, shorts, etc. in useful solid colors, I can make every top pattern I want in solids and prints and expand my wardrobe that way. This new philosophy led to an immediate culling of 270 patterns from the collection, which I'm eBaying off momentarily for cheap prices. Then, I'll scrutinize new patterns each season for something so special that I absolutely crave and must have, leaving all the other cute patterns unbought because I'll just never get to them. If we need a pattern after it's ceased production, persistence will score it on eBay or Etsy anyway. I do a search, save that search, and then get email notifications when the pattern finally shows up. Bam, so much better than the boxes and boxes of "might make someday" patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have nailed it on the head with the rationalisation of needing/buying patterns. Same for me I think. I don't have much money and sometimes buying a $10 (no $1 sales in Australia!) pattern is something that I can afford and it says I'm in charge... ha! Yes what if it isn't available when I NEED it! Ha again.

    I have made the Butterick jacket pattern view A with long sleeves and I made it in a wool (that eventually shrank - making another one the same soon). I have view E half made with a interfaced (?) backing out of a wool (?) from my Mum's stash. I've put a cotton or polyester charmeuse as the lining for the yolk but the front needs self fabric and is bulky. It's a great pattern though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw that you turned off anonymous users. Please list me, then, with the above comment as Thrillingfindz. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid to count my patterns. That said, you're inspiring, so maybe I will! Tomorrow.

    And btw, if I haven't congratulated you yet in writing on finding your new home, I HAVE done so in my mind :) May you prosper and find much joy there, along with just the right number of patterns ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have counted my patterns, but I have purchased many 'just because' I might want to make them 'some day'. Maybe now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pattern Hoarder. that is me!!! I go to the fabric stores, and the patterns are on sale.. I tell my self.. They are only $1-$2 ... If you don't use them..what will it hurt? It makes you happy..[And before you know it. you have a ton of patterns..ha]
    You have made some really pretty garments.. Best wishes on using your patterns/fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, lord knows I have enough patterns, but these days I buy very few
    and at that specifically for a construction feature. I could probably cut myself down to 25 patterns and create from there. Patterns do spark ideas though and for me, if I get some ideas from a pattern even if I never make it, it was worth the purchase...most times. ;) Good luck in the contest TSAB!
    Love the bed jacket pattern BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, I hear ya about rationalizing pattern buying. For me, I'd add fabric buying, too. But somehow, going from specific decluttering to incorporating decluttering as part of how I think about purchases, I haven't looked at patterns or fabrics in some time now. I tell myself, "There will always be more fabric." "There will always be more patterns." That said, your bed jacket pattern is just so cute! Oh, and I love the photo at the top. That was a mighty big move you made; of course it takes time to get settled! Me? I'd still have boxes everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Mary!
    Love the new pic. I have to agree about obsessions. I might have a few of my own. I'm laughing here, as I read your post. I have strictly drafted all of my own pants for at least the last 10 years, and I still have about 25 or more pants patterns in my stash, most uncut. I am trying to cull though. I put the first 10 patterns on Ebay this week. Some go back to the 80s, sizes as small as a 6, and all are uncut. I am going to try to get rid of all that I'm not ever going to make before our big move. I'll become a frequent seller on Ebay I think. LOL FYI, you can do 50 per month with no charge for listing and a small commission. I'm trying daily to move all of my insecurities outside myself into a bubble next to me. That way I have them when I need them but they don't get overwhelming! Love the jacket you made. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post and the pattern stash contest made me realize that I should write the date I purchased each pattern on the envelope. I don't really want to count mine (can't face it, perhaps?) but if I date them I could decide that anything that wasn't sewn in three years was going to be thrifted. Or something like that ;) Great post, thx very much for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last month family visited. The ladies spent hours going thru my patterns and I realized I might have a problem! The Hancock fabric saying the sale is limited to 10 per purchase should not be viewed as my personal challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It feels good to finally use both patterns and fabric that have been sitting around for a while. I am experiencing the same joy at the moment. The pieces you have made are wonderful. Love the skirt and new haircut too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your jacket is so pretty, both in color and the style. I love your skirt and t-shirt dress too, they look great on you :)

    Good luck on the challenge, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have me both laughing in recognition and sighing in acknowledgement. My pattern and fabric journey is definitely two steps forward and one step back. I have never counted (that might be a revelation!) and thought I was making progress by limiting my pattern storage space. But it's amazing how many I can stuff into drawers even after I say 'enough." I'm just impressed that you have had time to be so productive sewing already in your new home. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great haircut! And I enjoy all the pics of your new yard. A limit on patterns...ouch! Had not thought of this. I guess because I have so many limitations as I get older that I cannot control (health, economies, etc.), that I just don't want to impose any more on myself, I indulge when I can! Is most of your gardening in pots in your new yard? And did the recent monsoon-al rain cause any damage? Hope not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your sewing creations. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your new makes and your new haircut! You look great! Yes, buy another pattern or two, always makes one 'feel' better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.