Saturday, June 14, 2014

I'm 60

me and my honey at my birthday dinner last night
Dinner was at Mariscos Chihauhau on N. Grande in Tucson.  The restaurant is very casual and plain on the outside, but inside...wow!  All the walls are painted, and there is an interesting diving bell in the front.  The service was great, the food plentiful and the atmosphere very family oriented.  We had camarones culiche, and pollo culiche.  I highly recommend this little restaurant when you are in Tucson-a great place to grab lunch on your way to the Sonoran Desert Museum or University of Arizona campus.  For my sewing friends: I am wearing The Sewing Workshop Tosca dress made in a very light B/W batik.   

We shared our celebration with my friend Susan Else, who was in town teaching classes for the Tucson Quilt Guild.  Sue and I have known each other since high school, and have shared so much of our lives.  I was able to attend her lecture and take a class in Fabric Collage.  Sue is a sculptor and uses fabric to build 3D figures and scenes, some of which are mechanized.  Visit her web page-her work is so interesting!  Here is a link to one piece that is special to me: hard times

Mr. Biblioblog and Sue went to college together and are dear friends on their own too:




During the Fabric Collage class, I was able to check off some "firsts" from my list.  It was the first time I successfully appliqued, the first time I used invisible thread, and the first time I attended a quilt guild meeting.  I had a great time and left inspired to keep using the techniques.  She taught us how to collage fabric together without any seams, using zig zag and cutting away layers.  Here are some examples of the student work.  

We used multiple layers and cut away, then used the gift pieces from the cutting.  Some people added in glitzy fabric, and some stayed in one colorway.  We added cording or yarn or other embellishments near the end of the day.  




I had a lot of fun making my sample and hope I can use this technique to add in some art to my sewing :-)  Thanks to many of you for the birthday wishes on FB and email~you made my special day even nicer, 
                                                            Mary

23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I'm glad you are enjoying your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday - you look happy and relaxed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday in your new home Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect day! Food, fabric, friends and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! That class looks like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say, you so do not look your age, Happy birthday!! loti from PR :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Looks like Tucson is agreeing with you and you're finding all the right places for dining! How wonderful you got to celebrate with a life long friend and also check off some firsts on your list! I agree with Debbie Cook... you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 60th birthday [my 60th is coming in October]..
    Proud you had such a lovely dinner with hubby and your friend..
    All the fabric classes sound so fun.. Know you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're looking great at 60! Glad you had a nice celebration, and glad to hear you're settling into life in Tucson. I'll be interested to see how your quilting experiences translate into garment sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Mary! Wish you all the best! You are looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, Mary! You sound so happy and your sure make 60 look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mary!!!!! You do sound so happy and loving your 'new' life. What a special birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy bithday! And a great looking 60 . for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous smile you have, Mary! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! Love the collage work...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy happy birthday, sweet sixty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sixty! No way . Happy birthday . I think your looks very small. You should buy more for your special day !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated Birthday, Mary! You look lovely in your new Tosca dress. Glad you're happily settled in your new digs.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.