Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pretty, useful and easy

No, this does not refer to me.  I am almost done, almost, with Christine Jonson's Inset Jacket.  I have loved this pattern from the first time I saw it, and variations of this style have been around for at least 40 years.  I can remember seeing this type of blouse worn by lanky hippies in the early 70s.
I love clothing which is oversized but drapes in a feminine way.  This pattern focuses interest in the neck, collarbones and shoulders, and de-emphasizes hips.  It looks so comfortable but also very fashion conscious.

The pattern is very oversized, and while I often sew a small size through the shoulders and a medium through the hips, this time I cut and sewed a straight XS.  I have room to move, and the outside seam of the inset panel hits me higher on my shoulder than illustrated on the right. I like that, and think it updates the style a bit.  Pattern markings are minimal, and the essential dot at the corners of the inset panel are missing.  Instructions are very minimal, and there are no suggestions for finishing seams other than "...finish seam or serge"  I used a combination of techniques-bias binding, turning under raw edges, and plain old zigzag.


I have the sleeve hems left to do, as well as the hem.  I will add lace, and hand sew these when I have some time.  I certainly cannot wear this yet as we are still getting snow/rain and it is just plain cold.  Now, if I were in my new house...

Yes, a new house.  We are moving from Oregon as soon as we sell this wonderful home and moving into a very nice townhome in Tucson, AZ.  My Inset Jacket will be a great coverup by the pool!
Tubac (near Tucson) arts festival a few years ago

retired gentleman, probably waiting for his wife!




15 comments:

  1. I don't envy you the move. What will happen to Nick? Will you be able to agist him nearby?

    I do love the rendered walls in the photo above. Is this an arty sort of town? In which case it will be fun to live in.

    The jacket does work nicely, but XS is plenty big enough. I've found that quite a few of the independent companies don't really include detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked this pattern. The fabric you chose is so pretty. Congratulations on your new house, but condolences on packing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine moving. I've been in my current house - 22 yrs. Almost 30 in the same community.
    Congratulations on embracing the change.
    Love your blouse fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty fabric!! Can not wait to see your finished jacket. Congratulations on your new house and good luck on the moving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes on the move.. I have always heard how beautiful AZ. is..
    Love your jacket, Can't wait to see it finished.. Love the style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely jacket, but I disagree, You are pretty and you are useful. Now, easy, I'm not touching that one. ;) And you are going to look positively STUNNING in that CJ jacket. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, but, but – I haven't been able to make the trip south with Laura yet so the four of us can go riding together! You can't move yet! WAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, congrats on the move! I really like Tucson, although I haven't been there in quite a long time. Tombstone and Bisbee are fun. Will the horses etc make the move with you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting!!! You'll be able to be outdoors year 'round in Arizona doing all the things you like to do. Wish you could come closer to SC, methinks we'd enjoy time spent with each other. :) Cute top! This will make a terrific pool coverup and how fun to be working on it as your dreams materialize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow on all counts. Love how the jacket is turning out and am admiring your aplomb in announcing your move. Best wishes for an easy sale and move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I've nominated you for a Liebster Aware because I love what you write and share. My link is here:
    http://pieceworktreasures.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-liebster-blog-award-thank-you-sarah.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty topper. Love the fabric. And a new house in Arizona . Sounds warm and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty topper. Love the fabric. And a new house in Arizona . Sounds warm and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty jacket & congratulations on your move! Sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.