Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Countdown

May 23rd is the day.

It will be our 39th wedding anniversary.  I know this with certainty because not only is it etched in my brain...but my health insurance carrier (for the last 30 years) has decided that Mr. Biblioblog and I must prove that we are married.  Legally.  So, I opened the firesafe and what did I find?  Not my marriage certificate.  It was missing.  I looked in all the usual places but could not find it.

The insurance company said "Too bad for you and Mr. Biblioblog.  If you don't produce the document we will NOT cover Mr. B."  Actually, they were far nicer than that, but still conveyed the message that the certificate was required.  So, I sent off for a certified, official, embossed, special marriage certificate to avoid further fruitless negotiations with this company.

May 23rd is also the day that the buyer of our house wants to close.  Yes, we sold our house!  It must still go through all the inspections and paperwork and various details...but it sold and to someone who will value it as we have.  It sold in approximately 2 weeks for a price close to the list price.   Now I'll have to change the banner at the top of my blog-that really is the view out my front window.  For the next few weeks.

In the next few weeks I'll be pretty busy with packing the rest of our belongings, and organizing transport for Big Nick, and finishing my VERY long to do list.  The house trim will be freshly painted, the old cement stairs repaired and painted, and the second floor windows washed.  I'm sure there is more...but for now I want to concentrate on sewing a new dress for my new home in Tucson.   I have some gorgeous brown, black and taupe stretch cotton in a bold graphic print for a semi fitted sundress using B5450.  I also have 3 yards of a very pretty gray/lilac abstract print which I am going to use for V1220.
B5450

V 1220

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on selling your house. and best wishes on your move.
    How funny that the insurance needs proof of marriage, after serving you for 30 years..
    Happy anniversary, and hope you have a very nice one.. Kenny and I just celebrated out
    42 nd one..[and I sure would hate to have to produce our marriage license,ha]

    Like your pattern, look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, Happy Anniversary to you and Kenny-wow, 42 years! He must be a keeper. :-)

      Delete
  2. Bravo, bravo, what a terrific sale story. And happy anniversary on top of it all. Mr. Lucky and I had to prove we were married last year for his retirement plan. After only 26 years we did still have the certificate but I had to wonder at the need for such an audit in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, yes, we were thrilled to sell so quickly. I will miss it. I think the need for documentation is only going to increase.

      Delete
  3. ack, we had to provide the same thing.... not just the marriage license, but also last years taxes showing our filing status. Congrats again on the sale and move, and look forward to more of your saga as it unfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katej841, I am hearing this same issue about the license from many of my friends around the country.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on 39 years and a quick sale on your home! You've got so much going on in your life right now, it is admirable you are sewing 2 dresses too! Both are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. We'll see if I get them done.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on selling your house. We have been trying for just over a year now. Lucky we are not desperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, thank you. I hope you can get some action on your house soon. I'll be thinking of you!

      Delete
  6. Congrats and congrats! How wonderful to have so many years together. I didn't realize that your banner is the view from your window. Wow, just stunning. Must be arresting to see the weather change across that broad space.

    So much happening so quickly. Hope all goes as well as possible, and that you and Ross can laugh off the things that don't. Your dress patterns are so pretty, the Vogue has such intriguing seaming and pleating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco, I am practicing a calm attitude. I too, find the Vogue pattern intriguing. We'll see what happens with it in a light cotton.

      Delete
  7. Well, congrats on 39 years and the speedy house sale. Love the Butterick pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know my m. license is around here somewhere. . .
    Crazy.
    Congrats on your 39 years.
    Plus the quick house sale AND for even thinking you have time to sew a dress before you finalize things.
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy, find your certificate. Really. Someone, sometime is going to request it.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the 39 years! That is a huge milestone and accomplishment. I do hope you settle in and enjoy your new place in sunny AZ. And I can't wait to see your version of Vogue 1220 - it's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Mary! It sounds like things are happening pretty smoothly. And the big adventure begins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on selling your house. It must be traumatic though! I love both those patterns. Have fun sewing them up. My new way to fit more sewing in during a very busy spring cleaning time is to go to my SR and sew one hour before starting with the cleaning and I love it. It makes the cleaning much les onerous. Just sayin !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your move goes smoothly. I am impressed at your adventurousness.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.