Saturday, March 29, 2014

Winter booklist and a bit of news

I'll start with my news in order to partially explain why I have been so quiet here on kf-biblioblog. You know we travel each winter, and generally stay in campgrounds and BLM land.  This year we planned to return to Mexico and stay for 2 months on the beach in Puerto Penasco.  That lovely fishing town was the site of a 4 hour gun battle between police and a cartel-right on "our" beach! Needless to say, we stayed in the States, and spent our winter in Texas and parts of the Southwest.
Bandit 1998-2014
This put a damper on our travels, and our mood was compounded by the loss of our beloved jack russell Bandit. Ross and I were grieving, and little Nick was confused and grieving in his doggy way also.  I spent almost no time sewing, and while I did a little bit of knitting, I mainly read.  Long, detailed, thoughtful books.  Books which could take me somewhere else easily.  The rhythm of travel, the quiet in campgrounds, the winter weather...all kept me focused on reading.  What a pleasure, and one I hope everyone reading this blog can share.

My list this winter:
The Son by Philipp Meyer
Alamo Story: from Early History to Current Conflicts by JC Edmondson
The Ultimate Horse behavior and Traing Book: Enlightened and Revolutionary Solutions for the      21st Century by Bobbie Leiberman et al
The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty
Child of my Heart by Alice McDermott
The Faraway Horses by Buck Brannaman
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
The Invention of Wings: A Novel by Sue Monk Kidd
The Light between Oceans by ML Stedman
The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux (2 times now)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Orphan train: A novel by Christina Baker Kline
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
Sycamore Row by John Grisham
The Wife: A novel by Meg Wolitzer
Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A novel by Anna Quinlan
The MaddAdam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood
The Barkeep by William Lashner
The Interestings: A Novel by Meg Wolitzer
The Edge of the Earth by Christina Schwarz

On my bedside table is The Dinosaur Feather, which has not yet caught my interest.

In addition to the books above, we also watched (for the 3rd time!) Lonesome Dove.  ah, Gus...
Other TV/movies included The Wire Seasons 1-4 and I think I have Season 5 waiting.

Finally I have some sewing interest building!! I am so excited to feel an urge to create something.  I am starting on Christine Jonson's Inset Jacket, using a rayon blend in taupe and greyed turquoise.

I think this will be oversized, and plan to muslin it using small to start. My guess is that the entire inset yoke will need to come up and the shoulder seams brought in, giving the jacket a more fitted appearance.

It's nice to be back~
   Mary

21 comments:

  1. And it's nice to HAVE you back! I'm so sorry about Bandit; another piece of your heart taken….

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you when I read about the trouble in Puerto Penasco and hoped you weren't there!

    So sorry about Bandit. I know how devastating it can be to lose a pet that has been loved for a long time. Hugs to you!

    Glad you're back, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your new Jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to have you back! (and I hope to be joining you back in blogland asap)

    RIP dear Bandit. And in spite of the travel disruption, I'd rather have you safe & snuggled with a good book than in the middle of a gunfight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Mary. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Bandit - and yes, dogs do grieve as well, for a minimum of six months - they are social animals after all.

    What a lovely winter of reading you had. Now you are all ready for the changing seasons and sewing. I look forward to seeing the jacket made up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest in Peace little one. I'm sure you're giving someone hell! 2014 has not been a good year for B's. Miss Bea, Bandit and Baggins all passed over the bridge this winter. But better days are coming. Can't wait to see the Nick's, large and small. Great reading list. I read a few good ones myself and like you was looking for something to transport me elsewhere. Top of my list, Winter Sea by S. Kearsley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about Bandit. I still miss our dog. I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed you. Sorry about Bandit. Gwen, a sewing blogger who recently passed away, used to call pets our fur children and I always thought that endearing and true. That is quite a reading list. I am mightily impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I am so sorry to hear about Bandit.. sending big ole hug..
    also sorry your traveling plans had to be changed.. But your reading sounds wonderful.. Look forward to your sewing plans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your dog passing.
    --glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling photo of your Bandit. Sad when our fur babies go on without us. I'm glad you found books to dive into that gave you solace. How lovely for us all to have surfacing here again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mary, I love your picture of dear sweet Bandit. I am glad to hear that you are back and taking your sweet time in the world of reading. Marget Atwood has been my favorite author for a number of years.
    I look forward to your sharing of your knitting projects as well as your beautiful new jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! Thanks for this book list. I'll be back for ideas!

    I just finished The Light between the Oceans, and I'm slowly savoring The Invention of Wings. Flight Behavior is also a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear that Bandit has passed. My condolences to you, your husband, and Nick.
    However, it's good to know that you avoided the trouble in Mexico. Glad that your safe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Mary! Glad to hear you stayed safe this winter. So sorry to hear about Bandit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back Mary! I am so sorry to hear about Bandit.
    Glad that your safe and I am looking forward to see your finished garments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so very sorry to hear the news about Bandit. Here's hoping that happier memories of his years with you are a comfort. And I am glad to know that you are safe and regrouping. I too turn to books for comfort and distraction and have enjoyed about half of those on your list this winter. I am eager to get to The Interestings and The Signature of All Things. Not sure what my next sewing project will be but will eagerly watch to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! So sorry for your loss of Bandit. It can be so hard to lose a beloved pet. Love that Christine Jonson pattern - will have to give that one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry about Bandit wasnt he adorable. Pleased your back I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear about Bandit. Sounds like you were able to have a safe and restful trip. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my. I am so so sorry to hear about your dear Bandit. Losing a pet is so incredibly hard and painful, it is always a wonder to me that we are able to survive it. Take care of yourself, and welcome home. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back. So sorry bout Bandit, that's so difficult! They leave a hole in your heart that can't be filled.

    I love your reading list, and have to comment on how much I like Paul Theroux,

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.