Saturday, December 14, 2013

Happy trails to you

We are heading south in just a few days, with plans to make our way to Texas and camp at Big Bend National Park.  After enjoying the Rio Grande valley, we'll be traveling to Puerto Penasco, Mexico and camping on the Sea of Cortez.  I'm excited to be on the road again, but I also will miss home and my blog friends.  I won't have wi-fi except in cafes for the first part of winter, and then none until we settle into our spot in Mexico.  I'll try to post updates, and I hope that you will be here in the spring :-)

Look at my guy up there-isn't he adorable?  I am going to miss him and Woodrow so much.  sigh.   I had a riding buddy a few years back who actually flew home during the winter just to say hi and hug her horses.

Yesterday I spent some quiet time organizing my wardrobe for my 4 months away.  We have all looked at travel wardrobes, and I've used some of those as starting blocks.  I have learned, though, what I need for my particular lifestyle during travel.  Here are the particular details to consider:

How long: 4 months
Travel method: driving in a truck/trailer with a non fashionable husband and 2 shedding jrts
Locations: store parking lot, out of the way RV parks, state campgrounds, BLM land, National Parks, commercial park in Mexico
Accomodations: sleep in the trailer after setting it up, which involves some physical and dirty work.  Our trailer provides about 200 square feet (27 ft) of living space, has a lovely kitchen and common area, a bathroom, and a separate bedroom.  Water tanks last about a week with careful use, and propane provides some energy.  We have solar panels which we depend on also.  We usually dry camp (no hookups, no water) so electricity is off the battery and some appliances can be used sparingly with an inverter.
Weather conditions: It is cold when we start.  Cold.  Snowy and icey.  As we travel south, it does get warmer, but it's still chilly.  The desert in winter is chilly and windy, so we are usually bundled up in the early morning and evenings.  After a day on the road, I forget all about my fantasies of looking good and just concentrate on keeping my ears and hands warm.  I've also learned that the wind carries dirt and sand, which is great for dermabrasion but not so good for hairstyles.  And remember, we have limited water so bathing is concentrated on only some body areas.  
Activities: reading, hiking, walking dogs, photography, bird and plant watching, RC glider (until it cannot be repaired), sewing, embroidery, knitting, practicing Spanish, beach walks, horseback riding, wave runners if available, drawing, napping. Also cleaning, cooking and and business details. No where is there a need for a Vogue cocktail dress, much to my chagrin, as I actually thought to sew one.

Wardrobe so far:





Hiking and outdoor clothing-2 pairs of long pants, 4 pairs of shorts.  All RTW and designed for outdoor use.  Pockets, zippers, snaps etc.
6 tops from a variety of patterns~M 6244, KS 3915, Tonic SBCC tee, Tonic tee, Scout Grainline tee, M 5890 black shell (from bottom of picture to top).  I worked this neutral palette very carefully this year and also sewed everything from my stash.



Three tops from V 8906 to be worn when going to town, or in Mexico.  They will be worn with jeans, pants, shorts.  All stash fabrics except for the red corduroy which I had to have.
Floral top S2370 and teal Scout tee for warm weather in Mexico.








Striped knit top (back view) from McCall's #? and V8390 wrap







Woven tunics and leggings: S 3530 grey tunic and B 5555 blue stripe tunic. Grey and blue leggings RTW and Jalie.







 B/W floral leggings and black knit dress are both RTW  :-)
Light turquoise and dark turquoise leggings RTW with dotted tunic S 2232

I have 2 cowls for layering with this tunic made from B 5679.  I also picked up 2 turtlenecks from LLBean to use.


This is the majority of my travel clothing-I also pack accessories, riding gear, underwear, shoes and pjs.  Really though, that stuff is thrown in at the last minute.


In reviewing this post, I realize that I did a LOT of sewing this year for the trip and was able to focus most of it into complementary colorways.  I'm thrilled with this, and I think it will serve me well.  For those of you pondering travel such as this, I hope I've helped with at least this one detail of your planning.

 Until spring, Mary

49 comments:

  1. Mary , sounds really exciting.. Know you will enjoy it.. What about Christmas...where will you spend Christmas??
    Your shirts and things you made are beautiful.. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, thanks. No celebration this year...next year I will go all out.

      Delete
  2. Wow ... that is an undertaking. :-) Happy (and safe) Trails to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful trip, enjoy the sun, and I look forward to seeing you in the spring, also, safe travels!....Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels! Looks like a great wardrobe. We'll be leaving the extreme cold and over 14" of snow, so far, with our RV and heading to FL right after Christmas. We normally leave right after Thanksgiving but son talked us into staying for Santa this year. Of course, most snow we've seen in years has surprised everyone! I could have lived without it. Hope you stay warm in Big Bend. We wintered in that area in 2009 and nearly froze solid! Temps in the teens at night. Have a great winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the heads up on Big Bend temps. That was a bad year...we got caught in torrential rain in LA area. Enjoy Florida!

      Delete
    2. Mary, I have family in Austin, TX and they have been complaining about their cold temperatures all month. It may be another one of "those" years. Take care and stay warm!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! Great wardrobe plan too. Have a safe trip :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time, I will miss your blog (and your comments on mine 8-D). Who takes care of your horses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle, I will miss your blog also. The horses are being boarded at a wonderful private stable where old Woodrow is treated like a king, and Nick is given lots of attention. My friend Amy will ride Woodrow occasionally, but Nick is getting the winter off.

      Delete
  7. Have a great trip! Are you going to Austin for PR weekend in May?? Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, dammit, we will be home by then. Have fun.

      Delete
  8. Mary, have a wonderful, safe trip. Looking forward to pics when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually throw everything into my duffle bag at midnight before my trips. I am impressed!
    You put a lot of thought into your travel wardrobe that needs to take you on for four months.
    Have a great trip. Relax and practice that spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy, that is what my DH does and he then buys stuff along the way to fill in the gaps. I wanted to sew as much as I could and perhaps leave it in the trailer for the NEXT trip.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the look at your wardrobe planning....and happy trails to you. I'll have to plan for six weeks away with a similar range of temps so I enjoyed hearing your thought process. You may not need a cocktail dress....neither do I....but you've coordinated some nice colors and designs and that makes for an enjoyable daily dressing decision. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I hope you blog about your trip-I'd love to read what you do, where you go, and what you wore. Happy Holidays.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for posting this...I am new to the travel trailer road trip.....this post will help me prepare for our destinations in a logical way.
    Enjoy your trip and be safe....BTW, I have a beloved that is not style conscious at all! HUmmm, I guess, as the old saying goes, Opposites attract! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enid, Hope you find some helpful tips, and please visit again. I'll be posting once in awhile but regularly in the spring. Where do you plan to travel first?

      Delete
    2. We took a quick one week trip in May.. First to Klamath Falls, (your neck of the woods) to visit my brother and SIL then eastward thru a bit of Wash. an ended up in Lewiston, Id. to visit a a school hood friend of mine.
      We have to plan our trips around Olive harvest and summer tree maintenance and irrigation's on 4 properties. So our next trip should be in the next month or so...and where we go is pretty much up in the air at this time.
      Looking forward to your once in a while posts...Have fun!

      Delete
  12. I just stumbled across your blog. Puerto Penasco was where we went when I was a kid! A friend of my grandfather's had a house there. I hope you post pics, though I'm sure I'll not recognize a single thing. Mostly I remember the warm sun, playing in the ocean, running like crazy across the hot sand back to the house, finding a bleached bird bone, the cousin who has passed now, and that one time I got Montezuma's revenge.

    Your travel wardrobe looks very sensible and comfortable. Happy Holidays and enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's wonderful. Look back through the blog for last year and you will find some pictures of the town and beach.

      Delete
  13. Oh, how I love travel wardrobes! I am hoping you will re-visit Refugio Beach in Santa Barbara at some point in your trip and we can have a meet-up! I would be one of those people who would fly home to hug a horse...or dog...or cat... Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margy, we won't be going your way at the beginning. Maybe on our way back???

      Delete
  14. Informative and entertaining post, thanks! You will be missed, my dear! It's oddly comforting to have a better idea of your day-to-day life while you're on your journey :)

    You won't happen to be passing through the Bay Area on your way down or back up, will you? Because if you are., you have have my number, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going straight down 5 and then angling east. We won't be near you :-( Do I have your email? I think I do...I'll check and if not, will PM you from PR.

      Delete
  15. Oh, forgot to say, Nick was an ADORable little puppy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh Jillian, you're from Montana...that's a colt. :-)

      Delete
  16. Gosh Nick was cute as a bug when he was a baby. Why did I sell him again...? ;)
    Looks like a fantastic array of useful co-ordinated clothing. I'm glad you put that pop of red in. My prediction, when you get back, greys and blues won't be first on your fabric to buy list! Have fun, I will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! I can't imagine being away from home twice as long as we were this year. Sounds like you camp the way we do, Mary, except in a larger vehicle than our Westie. Great wardrobe you made and I love the way it all coordinates! You'll look comfortable and practical - even if there's nowhere to wear a cocktail dress.

    We'll miss you. Enjoy your trip and come back safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa, I followed your trip avidly, and hope to post along the way. Connections are hard to find though. Thanks on my wardrobe.

      Delete
  18. This sounds like a lot of well-dressed fun! I'm kind of envious! Have a great time and stay warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a long time to be on the road, but great to have freedom to catch up on reading and handwork and see a lot of the country. It looks like your wardrobe will serve you well. Hope you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I enjoy the time-it is enforced rest :-)

      Delete
  20. Happy Trails to you too Mary. You will be missed mightily. Eventually we'll see lots of photos with you sporting your fabulous travel wardrobe? Wow, tons of sewing and well done! Like Jilly, I hope you and DH swerve left to the SF Bay Area on your return. Don't forget you are an honorary and honored BABE after all. We'd cluster around you in a heartbeat. Travel safely and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I'm so sorry I didn't make it down to see you this fall. I hope to update from time to time...with photos of my travel wardrobe. This kind of sewing is importnat but not too exciting :-)

      Delete
  21. Have a wonderful and safe trip, Mary! I'll miss your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana! I'll stay in touch as best I can and see you in the spring!!!

      Delete
  22. Happy trails, Mary! And if you do swerve towards SF at some point, please do let us know! We'd love to arrange a get together. Just not, I hope, during the work week, as my dance card is now overflowing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds wonderful, a complete break from everyday life. hope your new sewing makes meet the mark , happy holidays and new year
    louise

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so impressed that you can live in such a small space for so long! I need way too much stuff around me. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing about your clothing and makes as well as your thoughts about your choices for your trip. What a wonderful trip too! Have a great time. Merry Christmas and have a wonderfully Happy New Year. Look forward to your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Mary,
    How is your trip going? Know you and hubby are having a good time. Was thinking about you..
    take care..

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.