Thursday, October 31, 2013

car coats, contests and Butterick 5533

I have a wonderful memory of my mother and myself speeding along some highway in her Pontiac convertible, the wind whipping her turquoise scarf back.  She is wearing cat's eye sunglasses and red lipstick, pants and a plaid car coat.  I must be very young, because all I can see is the dashboard.

Pattern Review is running a contest for lined jackets, and I entered Butterick 5533.  This OOP pattern is a classic car coat.  Car coats are usually wool,  A line, have deep pockets for your keys, and strike a balance between casual outerwear and a more sophisticated silhouette.  They are meant to keep you warm in an open car and allow you to be well dressed as you leave your car and enter a building.

Mr. Biblioblog and I travel in the winter, and we drive for long distances.  Getting out of the car in rumpled clothing puts a damper on my day, and so I have added this coat to my travel wardrobe. It will allow me to be comfy while driving, and look good when we stop.  The pockets for dog treats are a plus!!

I used recycled hemp/linen for the shell, and a flannel for the body of the lining.  The sleeve lining is of Bemberg rayon.  The clasp at the neckline is a gift from Theresa of Camp Runamuck (thanks so much Theresa!), the buttons are vintage from my family, the hem lace is from my mother in law many years ago, and the flannel lining?  sadly, JoAnn's.  So, almost everything is repurposed :-)




If you would like to read more about the details, and see my entry, follow this link: B 5533 car coat review  The contest voting starts in a few days-take a look at the gallery of coats and jackets...what an amazing group of jackets!  I'll update this blog post in a day or so with some information about the surface design on the coat.  It was done with chalk and markers.

In the meantime, I hope you fill your days with fun and creativity, Mary

20 comments:

  1. I really like this pattern, and I love the sleeve details, and I REALLY love your surface design!!! Definitely looking forward to the details on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty coat and lovely design. Compliments!
    B.r.,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Mary! What a great coat! I look forward to hearing more about the surface design and good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to imagine what this would look like when you started this project. This coat is so much better than what I was coming up with. It's obvious you had a vision.
    Can't wait to see a close-up of your yoke detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! I love it! I especially like the artwork on the back -- the faded old handwriting used for graphic design has been a favorite technique of mine for many years -- and the way you used it here is just perfect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow! This is an absolutely beautiful coat! All those artistic youches really add to it's panache! Looks great on you. too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic coat and you look great! Like the hair now that it's a bit longer too. Looks to be a perfect weight for the winter in the climes you'll visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coat is beautiful! And love that you repurposed items to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, your coat is so pretty and you look wonderful in it. Love the pearl grey color and textures of your fabric. And your personal touches. The clasp from theresa is so special and is lovely on this coat. I've enjoyed your foray into mixed media as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! The colour of the hemp is so pretty and all the details make it a special work of art. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What else can I say, except to add to the chorus of "well done!" You have done a great job of individualizing the pattern, plus the ornamentation on the yoke is perfect, just the right touch, eye-catching but not overdone. And you do indeed look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful! I especially like the sleeve detail, and all the little stories behind the materials. The neck clasp is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How stunning is this! Wow, what a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful coat and great memories. I'm going to consider a new coat and yes, the classic car coat is perfect for our weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary, I've been away for a few days, so just catching up with your post now. This is a lovely jacket, filled with memories. I do like your back yoke detail - it's a lovely little surprise feature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, what a beautiful coat, I especially love the back! It looks like a watercolor!! Hope to see you before you leave?
    roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. That little sleeve detail is such a wonderful touch. It's that kind of luxe thing that sets sewing apart from RTW. Love your coat!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.