Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ms. Fancy Pants

Here is my Saturday errands ensemble-->

Board shorts in denim colored linen using S 3839 OOP and the top is V 8798 in quilting cotton.  I reviewed the shorts on PR as I think the pattern is well worth finding for those of you looking for a casual pant or walking short pattern.  The review is here.  The shorts are fitted, and the waistband sits a bit lower than the waist.  There is no zipper-they have a closure hidden above the left pocket.


Look Ma-no zipper! ;-)  

This is my 2nd pair using a grape colored denim.  I like both and will definitely make this a go-to shorts and pants pattern.  I love the fact that the pants are fitted, and smooth in front.

I have the Soho pants cut out in an oatmeal colored Brussels Washer fabric, and a 4th pair on the the cutting table from a Butterick pattern. I am taking a sewing break now though as I have had intense family and horse related activities in the last few days.  My brother David and his girlfriend Donna visited this week, and we had a wonderful time up at Crater Lake.  We came back to the house for a big dinner of pork tenderloin cooked by Mr. Biblioblog!
David and I in the rain at Crater Lake.

The fog and clouds lifted as we were there.
Finally, Nick the wonder horse is in school now.  He is being ridden by a professional-a cowboy who broke colts in his younger days.  I am so grateful for the help as I know Nick needs a stronger hand (leg!) but I don't have the strength to force the issue and ride it out to the solution.  Dave is doing that for me and teaching me some tricks to use with Nick-who is a very strong willed horse.          
We don't want to ruin his spirit, but convince him to soften for humans a bit more.

12 comments:

  1. Mary, you and your brother look so alike. sounds like a good day, Mr. Biblioblog, cooking lunch as well, even better. Love the denim material, it looks like a chambray. I used to make skirts like your trousers years ago before I ventured onto zips, I completely forgot about concealed openings, they are so quick to make up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fun outing! One of these days I want to see Crater Lake. Your capri pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shorts. I need shorts for summer and that pattern looks great. Bet it is either oop or not in my size. Off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Nick retains his lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top looks wonderful made up - I've seen the pattern many times but didn't think much of it - maybe another look warranted. Nice for you to see your brother - and as for Nick, yes, the right decision - if he gets the upper hand now it would spoil all the hard work. He just needs firm guidance until he gets it. My brother used to break in yearlings, and he could just about talk to them - he did sleep with them on road trips! He never used cruelty - that does break an animals spirit, and who wants that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some very nice new pieces! and that's great that you had some fun family time... and I was interested to see Crater Lake, we have actually been there! when we visited Oregon in early 2011. I thought of you and your sky blue tights the other day; i cm across a pin on pinterest of sky blue tights, worn with a bright lemon yellow skirt and white top similar to the one you are wearing in the picture with your brother David; it was a very cool look, great colours, and would look awesome with your beautiful light hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pats! They look wonderful on you. Looks like you had a great time with your brother and his girlfriend. Crater Lake is such a magical place, foggy, clear or snowy. And even better to come home to a cooked by someone else meal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute outfit! Love that the shorts are sans zipper. And 'board' shorts...what have you been doing, Mary? That Nick, the wonder horse. I love hearing about him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, no zipper in the pants? That kind of blows my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I love, love your outfit.. The shorts are perfect!! I went straight to ebay to hunt the pattern. I found one.. Put it on watch, and this morning, I got up and checked it, and it was gone...I am soooooooooo mad at my self.ha But, I will keep watching for this pattern..
    Your shirt is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just far enough away that I can't visit Crater Lake and then make it home for crockpot whatever.
    Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that top. It has style but is still a casual weekend look. Great outfit all around!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.