Friday, September 20, 2013

Details count

Style eludes me sometimes.  It is not that I don't try, I do.  You won't ever see me in public wearing pajama bottoms, or mismatched clothing, or sweatpants with writing on the derriere.   I don't believe my jeans are "mom" jeans (although I may be wrong) because I will NOT wear elastic waist jeans with a relaxed fit.   (photo from eCrater)
I know not to revisit the 70's even though I have such fond memories of my thrift store style and boho look.  It worked then and is disastrous for me now.  (photo from Good Housekeeping)
Sewing my own clothes allows me to try out styles I normally would not, and to add my own take on everyday clothing.  I am not a fashionista...I love clothes, but don't hunt the latest styles.  I tend to be a little conservative in my dress, and feel uncomfortable in pieces that are highly visible/arty/fashionable.  Now, all that said...I still venture forth and stick my toe in the fashion pool once in awhile.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  (Reference zebra striped sundress a few years back...you can search it out on the blog or PR :-) I am moving on. )

Besides style, fit and accessories are important elements in pulling together a look I'm comfortable in.  I want to be able to forget what I'm wearing and go about my daily life.  If something doesn't fit well, or the outfit doesn't work because the pieces conflict with one another...I'll discard that look or remake a piece.  Here's an example:
The pants on the left are too long for me, the top is boxy and hits at my hip.  The colors in the blouse match the pants almost perfectly-there is little contrast or surprise.   The whole look is too "suburban mom" for me.  It makes me feel short, round, and asexual.  The photo on the right is after the pants were hemmed 1 inch higher, and paired with a tank top and Liberty shirt .  I also added in some flip flops with a heel.  It's an improvement!  I'm more comfortable, and feeling a bit sassy.   (pants S 3839 OOP; cap sleeve top V 8798; maroon shirt Sewing Workshop Liberty shirt)

What about you, Readers?  Do you sew something up and when seeing the results, say "WTH?"  Do you think we hit the mark more often as we sew more, or do we take more chances as we sew more?  What has been your experience with your own style evolution?









11 comments:

  1. I've definitely made some garments that I thought would look great -- and they did -- just not on me. It's taken me some time to really refine my style, and I'm still working on it. I still sew garments that turn out to be totally unsuitable, but I think my successes are finally outweighing the failures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lord, I've made some doozies. They never see the light of day, only the inside of the waste basket. But I love my wadders almost as much as my successes. I was entertained for a number of hours no doubt, learned something in spite of myself and got to try a style without having to shop. Plus, I always have the opportunity to turn into something else. YOU should get big kudos for sticking with something. Tim Gunn must have gotten the phrase, "Make it work." from you! BTW, the new look, wonderful. Stylish and comfortable looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only beginning to learn what sewing different things has to teach me about my style. Good job on the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Mary, wholeheartedly, and have been thinking similar things myself - and have started altering a skirt that is too long and will not be worn. I've also attempted a new pants pattern, and on the second muslin, it fits - but - the style will not work on me - I realise I'm still thinking Pollyanna Homespun - because for years that is all I could afford (and thrifting - thank goodness for the Annie Hall look!!). Love your new shorts outfit - I'm sure the other top will be okay for unseen moments cleaning the bath :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTH probably describes a lot of my sewing but what the heck I have fun anyway and everyone who knows me knows I am a dag ( your Aussie husband will know the definition of a dag ) . I actually quite like your outfit on the left as well as the newly remodeled one !But I do agree I enjoy also just occasionally trying out new styles .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I definitely have done the same thing.. I have even sewed something,liked it, wore it, and saw a photo and thought, "Oh Lord, Surely I didn't think that looked good,lol"..
    But sewing allows for this.. I can redo it or discard it to a charity, and start a new sewing idea. so fun.
    Bty.. I love,love those shorts pattern.. I am searching ebay/etsy and still haven't found that pattern.. But, i am going to keep on looking. Thanks for s great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Mary, I have in view a piece of fabric scrunched up which should be a skirt, it hasnt even made the finishing line. But Im sure we have all been there. On fashion my friend commented the other day, that I was turning into a well groomed lady,now I do think about what I am about to wear and dont just put on the first thing I see, but Im not so sure this is a compliment, is sounds very staid to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The changes you made look great on you. I have had my share of WTH was I thinking gatments and mostly resulting from stepping out of my comfort zone. So I resign myself to sticking with what truly works for me , and once in while ad lib a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job seeing how to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I specialize in doozies when it comes to sewing garments. LOL (on my iPad so I have to keep this short n sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.