Friday, August 23, 2013

The patio dress

After sewing this dress, I wished I could have collapsed on the patio with a drink.  Alas, only soft drinks and water in this household :-)


This Kwik Sew pattern was anything but quick for me, and because there are pleats and ties in the back, the dress was very difficult to fit while sewing.   I posted a review of the pattern over at PatternReview and you can read it by clicking here.   Here is the line drawing of the back:

As you can see, all the serious work is on the back, and once done, the yoke is fixed.  The dress hangs from the upper bust, and if your measurements are off, you will have a sack hanging off your shoulders.  I ended up with an extra inch under each arm, and almost tossed the whole dress in the trash.  After sleeping on it, and letting my brain organize around yet another day of fiddling with what looks like a simple dress, I began unpicking all my work under the arms, down the side seam and across part of the front and back yokes.

I took in 3/4" on either side seam and lapped the yoke seams by at least that much.

I wore the dress on Wednesday and I have another alteration to do.  The straps lengthened as the day wore on, and I now must undo them and reset them to be tighter.   Have you ever worked so long on a project that all your love for it goes away?

Let me end with a positive experience---here is a photo of my first time weaving!!  Oh, I think I need a loom.  This was so much fun, and so gratifying.

  Thank you Theresa, for your patient instruction and generous spirit :-)

19 comments:

  1. It looks good in the picture! I get extremely frustrated with sewing if things don't work out the first time, which is why I don't do it very often (although I know that if I worked harder at it, I would be better, and then it would be less frustrating!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! If you ever get stuck on sewing, just holler. I'll come down and help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, there is nothing worse than the frustration of a simple project that goes on and on and on and on for ever. It does look so simple as well.

    Your loom is fantastic, the room even mmore so :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops, even more so. I'm a little tired today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as you worked out the dress, it grew! LOL! But I think it would be worthwhile fixing up these straps as the dress/colour looks great on you...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling your pain :-) Like the dress, though. Doggone straps, nothing is more aggravating than a strap that slips. You can try setting them in more of a V towards the center back and just pretend it's a design feature. Your fabric is so pretty, like a story print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks nice, Mary, but I can understand the pain of all those alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks patio-tastic to me. I know what you mean about starting to resent a project- sometimes they need a banishment period in the closet of toil to make me love them again when I find them later....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on a simple Vogue loose overblouse pattern and I swear it's more trouble than a fitted jacket! Your dress turned out beautifully in the end so congrats on your persistence. I'm also impressed by your weaving. I thought I might like to try it sometime but then I watched my friend do the set up work, wow, not as simple as in my romantic pioneer mental picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dress is great, as is your patio! I'm going to keep watching to see more about the weaving process. We did a bit in a textile class and I enjoyed it, but on a tiny little loom you could hold in your lap. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, as much of a hassle as the pattern proved to be, the dress looks wonderful on. Such a perfect fabric for you. Come learn to weave anytime, or should I be on the lookout for a small loom? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress is beautiful, Mary...well worth the hassle (IMNSHO)...I've taken several weaving workshops and loved them...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly drink-tastic!! A toast is in order :) A gorgeous maxi dress, and I reckon I love things a little more if I've had to stress about them a bit. Like they've "earned" my appreciation and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got to weave on the big loom when I was an exchange student in Finland. I would like to do it again.
    We are drinking Tazo Tea:Brambleberry. I don't do soft drinks and this tea isn't too sweet. I get it at our local thriftway. You can find some flavors at fred meyers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress looks lovely! I sympathize wholeheartedly with the pain of a simple project turning not-so-simple. I've had a few of those this summer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress looks lovely! I sympathize wholeheartedly with the pain of a simple project turning not-so-simple. I've had a few of those this summer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dress looks lovely! I sympathize wholeheartedly with the pain of a simple project turning not-so-simple. I've had a few of those this summer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All your creations are great... but I am so impressed with you weaving - this is my dream! On the list now... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, you are in trouble now, Mary. I took my first weaving class 13 years ago. During the first class (6 wks) I told classmates over and over 'No, I'm not getting a loom.' Now I have a beautiful Glimåkra, 150 cm., my 'Dream Loom' 13 years later. That, and a 45" LeClerc, a 22" Macomber, a band loom, and I weave with cards, too. I was a fabriholic from a young age, and gosh! it is so cool to create something that is exactly what YOU want, and something from—dare I say it?—thread. Have fun!
    Love your patio dress! It looks so cool and pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.