Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Risky business

I love the IDEA of these pants from Sandra Betzina's V1355 pattern.  Of course, the model is 6' at least and wearing heels.  I, OTOH, am 5'1" and rarely wear heels. Well, unless I am walking from the car to a dinner out in Ashland or Portland.  I don't think my readers have ever seen me glammed up...what an oversight on my part!

So, back to pants.  I like these pants but I know what will happen if I make them.  They will magically turn whatever height I do have into width.  I'll be rotated 90 degrees.  I am going to listen to that small, and very wise, voice inside and pass on these harem like pants.

I am starting a pantspalooza today.  I have laid out 9 pieces of stashed fabric-some good, some excellent, and some marginal.  I have 4 pants patterns set out, 3 of which are TNT (tried and true). I want to move some of my older pants to the Crisis Center and replace them with styles which will be easier to pair with my current tops in my wardrobe.
These will be in dark teal rayon, and considered an experiment in the fabric chosen.  I have not used this pattern before, and the fabric has a heavy drape.  This pattern does not have a lot of reviews and has also picked up some criticism for being far too oversized.  My plan is to sew them longer than shown and wear with a small heel.
Next is S5921, which is most likely OOP.  I have made these pants a few times, and while I still need to fine tune the fit, I always get compliments on them.  I have some grey moleskin (polyester with a brushed surface) which will be perfect for these.  They will be easy care and mix well in my closet.
This simple pant is Textile Studio's Soho Pant.  I have used this pattern 4 times, with mixed success.  It can be made with a knit or woven, and a side zipper can be added or not (if a knit is used).  The darts help with shaping and the flat waist has elastic inserted.  I'll be using taupe striped linen for one pair and an oatmeal linen blend for another.  It is very similar to the Simplicity pattern above, except for the darts and zipper placement.
Finally, this is my all time fave pattern (OOP) for board shorts.  The fit is perfect straight out of the envelope, and I love the pockets and vents.  Bonus-no zipper!  The hook and eye are concealed under the pocket flap.  I will make these out of coral linen, grape denim, and plain denim.

Wish me luck on this risky venture.  Not only will I up my style quotient here in Oregon and on the road, but I will finally put a dent in my stash.

24 comments:

  1. Ah, pants. I seriously need to learn to fit and then churn out some pants. I'm working my way through Sandra Betzina's pants classes on Craftsy, slowly. I think about giving up and buying RTW, but then I remember what it's like to try on pants at the store. Good luck with your risky venture and let us see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will share-and I know I will get at least one good pair out of this experiment. You will be so far ahead after doing the pants class. Have you reviewed it?

      Delete
  2. I hear what you are saying about those SB pants being only marginally taller than you at 5'4". Good luck with you pantspalooza look forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, you and I both know what we should wear...:-) You always look great and I study your outfits!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, great plans! I'll be eagerly watching for results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margy, I am going to churn some of them out I think. So I will most likely have a blog post in a week with some results. I'm taking Nick for a trail ride on Friday and so the next 2 days will be pant pants pants.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to make those SB pants, someday! Soon. Maybe. te-hehehehehe That is, once I handle all the crisis that happen around here far too often. The teal pants sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crisis? at your house? :-) I am going to hide out in my sewing cave and screen calls.

      Delete
  5. I need to do this also! I'm excited for you, and really understand the "they look good on giant people" though. For me that means my grands, not me! LOL
    Want to see the shorts sewn up particularly! Those look a winner for warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, the board shorts are really cute! They would be great in some tropical fabric. Mine will be in solids and fitted. I have made too many clown pants lately.

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to the results of the pantspalooza - sometimes it works just to focus on one sort of garment - you sort of get into a flow. Like you, I am not sure about some of the Sandra Betzina arty type pants - so I have tended to avoid them. All good choices for relaxed pants. The sort of thing we do wear everyday (how often do most of us do glam and heels, after all? Not in my sort of world either :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SarahLiz-I am hoping that I will increase my chamces of success by focusing only on pants, and also using TNT patterns for the most part.
      As for arty clothing-I am learning to admire from a distance.

      Delete
  7. Oh boy, pants! I really like the Hudson pants, can't wait to see those. The board pants are interesting, no zipper, yea. I can't wear zippers, so look forward to seeing these. What, no surfing fabric, no madras? Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco, I would love to use some madras or tropical fabric but stashbusting requires solids. :-( I could pick up just a small amount of fun fabric...

      Delete
  8. Mary, I've made the Hudson pants, compared to the Trio pant the pattern runs smaller, but is still roomy. The top however, is HUGE. Cute board short pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely assortment of pants patterns there. I'll be checking back to see your results. Can't have too many pants patterns that fit well. Have you ever tried Silhouette Patterns three piece Yoga Pant pattern. It's a great one that I've had a lot of success with.Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried that pattern Diana, but it is on my wish list.

      Delete
  10. I like the shorts pattern.
    The problem with using up stash is the gaping hole left behind that one must fill with a greater amount to make the stash look great again.
    Good luck on your delusions of creating a hole - LOL!
    I like your idea of concentrating on one type of garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh kathy! You are so right. The stash has a life of its own.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Looking forward to seeing all these pants-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene...2 are almost done :-)

      Delete
  12. You are so ambitious! I am jealous you have so many pants patterns that you've made work for you. It looks like it will make a nice wardrobe with varied styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trena, I have LOTS of awful pants in my sewing journey. :-)

      Delete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.