Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rain, rodeo Nick and McCall's 6796

Southern Oregon is in the middle of fire season, and we are living under a haze of smoke.  It's not too bad in my area, and yesterday the temperatures dropped and we got a little rain. Today is overcast and the forecast calls for thunderstorms.  I hope we don't have dry lightning though crews are bracing for that eventuality.

Rain would be welcome for my yard, and I will continue to water through the fall.  We are having some work done in the neighborhood on the gas lines, and my front garden by the street is torn up. The guys were so nice, and set the iris bulbs aside.  What sweeties!  With the gaping holes, it's hard to get motivated to work on that portion of my yard-the poppies have seeded and I need to gather some of the seeds and clear the ground.  The front yard really needs me.  In the meantime, here is a nice picture of the back yard-

In other news, Nick passed his trailer test with only a few points off!  Some of you have read about his trailer training on my Facebook page. What started out as a simple trailer refresher lesson (perhaps an hour or 2) turned into a 6 day marathon of horse training and my education in how to deal with "roughstock".    I had help from the barn manager, mainly because he didn't want me to get hurt.  I truly was surprised at the level of resistance Nick showed.  Rearing, running over me, kicking at lead lines, striking, throwing himself on the ground, slamming into the trailer door!  The images will stay with me for quite some time.  I could NOT have done this by myself.  I have at least 30 years of horse experience, and I have never seen this kind of reaction.  Who knows why this escalated-Nick already knew how to load, I had trailered him twice before, and he is a sweetheart in every other way.  Like people, he has his own dark side!

Last Sunday I loaded him pretty easily-he was a little balky but never BAD.  We drove up to an equestrian park in the mountains, and had some quality time together.  I am so proud of my boy!
Once saddled, he was a gentleman and very interested in his surroundings.  He handled big mounds of sticks hiding in the tall grass, he investigated the recycling barrels, he saw the pump, he socialized with other people while listening to me.  He was easy to ride and was happy with everything.




Theresa of Camp Runamuck drove over to meet me there as I needed some backup with him, and she took a number of photos.  She also lent a hand when it came time to load up for home-he got right in and off we went.  Thanks so much Theresa!  
After all of this, I was so ready for something non-challenging.   I whipped up this top for fall using a cheap poly knit from JA.  The pattern is M 6796 and my review is here.  

Until next time...Mary

35 comments:

  1. LOL, Nick, what has happened to your nose.....
    Great top and you look positively glowing in it. Save some of those poppy seeds for me please....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Nick, what has happened to your nose.....
    Great top and you look positively glowing in it. Save some of those poppy seeds for me please....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stuck it in someone's business? LOL. I will gather some seeds tomorrow am.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your Nick stories :)
    Cute top & good luck on the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin-it was a pleasure to report positive progress! Thanks for the comment on the sewing :-)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful horse... Love your new top too. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think he is pretty neat looking.

      Delete
  5. Nick looks marvelous! You two are just right for each other, whereas I would have looked too big. Sorry he gave you such a challenge. Wish we weren't so far apart; it would be so much fun to get together with Theresa and ride our perfect ponies (for each of us) together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, we'll have to arrange a camping trip! As for size, I am 5'2"...and Nick feels small to me after riding Woodrow all these years. I think he and I were destined for each other-don't know if that is good or not :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's a good thing – just like me and Lance. (And I'm 5'8"; that's why I would have looked too big!)

      Delete
    3. Well both of you, I am not a trailer diva and neither is my very fat out of shape perfect pony. Impossible to ride in the smoke we are getting but maybe in the fall? I have two spare beds, lots of dogs and can divide the pasture or put a critter in the round pen up top. Trails are good and plentiful.

      Delete
    4. Theresa, that would be such fun!

      Delete
    5. Just in CASE I can make this happen, when is hunting season? Give us a window of time you think would work.

      Delete
    6. Bow season is first, and very short. Then there is a break before rifle season. I'll check.

      Delete
    7. I think hunting season in the early fall is also limited to weekends, so might be worth checking late September, mid week.
      First week of Oct would be possible too. After that, the preparation frenzy for the parental visit starts. Sept. is pretty open though.

      Delete
    8. Oh and the bow hunters, they are a careful lot. I have never had a concern riding during bow season. I'm sure I've done it numerous times. But then again, there is always a first and it only takes one idiot who is unable to recognize a spotted or bright sorrel horse with a bell on him and a rider in a bright pink helmet.

      Delete
  6. Mary your top is super, and looks like it will be very useful for the fall. Love your horse. Always wanted one, but also always lived in the City. Oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, Thank you for your kind comments-Nick is very lovable and personable. I have always boarded my horses which made a giant dent in my finances. It's not TOO expensive in small towns.

      Delete
  7. I do like your new autumnal top! is a stripe? I love grey with a a passion, and wish it loved me more :S
    I hope you get plenty of rain! We have had some rain over the last few days, but it has still been a very dry winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn, thanks so much. The fabric is a 2 layer knit. Underlayer is black mesh, and the upper layer is a grey knit with embroidered circles. The "stripes" are cuts in the upper fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the top, it looks so useful, and my favourite colour. Love the pics of you and Nick, you look so carefree and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, thanks so much-this is a great little pattern. Do try it.

      Delete
  10. Nick is a lovely looking horse - probably be very good in due course - the resistance also shows a sound spirit :).

    Hope you stay safe from fires - I come from a bushfire area (not living there at the moment) so know the feeling - always aware.

    The top is lovely- and you look lovely in grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah Liz, You are such a positive person! I will continue to remember your kind words about Nick as he attempts to evade work.

      Delete
  11. Your top looks great and Nick is gorgeous! Hope you get more rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran-I think he is very striking.

      Delete
  12. Mary, you are a very talented writer, and I enjoy reading your Nick and Mary adventures (as well as about your sewing). Speaking of which, did you by any chance buy that fabric this year? Usually when I go to Joann's, I have a specific item in mind and so seldom look at the fabric. But that one is so interesting and pleasant to look at! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I did buy it at JA just a month or so ago. I cannot believe what a deal I got. Thank you for your kind comments on my writing...I like to write.

      Delete
  13. Nick looks so handsome! What a lot of work the two of you did with his trailer training. But you look really good together. And Theresa is a nice friend.

    Your back yard is stunning, it must be difficult to have the front all torn up. Unsettling. My front is still unfinished, pending getting my roof replaced. New plants would just be asking for trouble!

    Your top is lovely, I like the style on you! Are you using your serger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco, Nick is very handsome and has become even more so in the last year. He has presence. Now, he needs a little humility.

      Good luck on redoing your front. If it is as pretty as your back yard, your property must be stunning.

      Delete
  14. We usually head over to Madras in a few weeks for the central oregon airshow and hit firesmoke every time. Our open-cockpit (cough,cough) airplane is down this year so we will miss the wildfire season.

    Happy sewing and watering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that sounds scary, but glad to see you are okay. Lovely top, really like the split neckline and the red handbag is the perfect pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house is immaculate!!!!!
    You look so happy riding your horse. :)
    Maybe Nick was having a bad day. I was pretty grumpy on Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that Nick is cooperating better now! I can only imagine how scary it was to have your sweet boy throwing his weight around. You both look thrilled to be riding! Great top, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.