Wednesday, May 1, 2013

San Francisco reflections

PRWeekend was such fun-I had a wonderful time meeting new people and seeing old friends. Sharing our love for the craft of sewing and the art of design is an important part of PatternReview.  

Not only did the weekend give me a chance to reconnect with some old buddies, but I met some people face to face for the first time.  I felt as though we already knew each other, as we had established a rich relationship online.

Jillian and me, sharing our love for sewing and shopping

101 patterns









PatternReview is gigantic (329,338 members as of May 1, 2013) and it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.  Some people might find it hard to contribute during a PRWeekend, but there are other ways to get involved.  Participating on the boards, posting reviews and commenting on reviews, and following blogs are all ways to establish relationships with some members.  I did a lot of thinking about my role in PR as I had a long drive home...the smaller community within PatternReview has supported me in my learning and given me a place to grow in gratitude and creativity.

Enough of this now.  While we enjoyed Sandra Betzina's presentation, and dinner together, and city life, and shopping-we also had a pattern swap.  The leftover patterns will go to Puerto Penasco, Mexico when I travel there next winter.  Thank you so much for your generosity.

One piece of  information I gleaned from Sandra's presentation was that fabric makes a huge difference in a garment.  I vowed that when shopping I would buy luxe fabrics, and leave the "deals" for someone else.  And I did just that!  Britex was far too spendy for this girl, but I was able to find some great fabrics at both Fabrix and Stonemountain and Daughters.  Here is a rough plan for my spring sewing:

floral cotton from Fabric of Vision in Ashland
beach tees in coordinating loose wovens-
remnants from Fabrix
knit tops in prints
                                                                         
summer coordinates for dinner out




until later, Mary

19 comments:

  1. What a worthy cause sending/taking the extra patterns to Mexico is. Are you taking donations? I have a small box of patterns that I would be happy to send you.

    Glad you had such a good time at PR Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Carolyn, I'd be happy to take them. We can make arrangements via email. Here is my blog email:
      maresea61354@gmail.com Thanks!

      Delete
  2. A great recap, Mary. It was nice to see you again, if only briefly. I love the plans you have for your new acquisitions! And I do appreciate you taking the leftover patterns to Mexico next winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice to see you too Sharon. Are you traveling north anytime soon? You always have a "motel" at my house.

      Delete
  3. I love your plans! Nice fabric acquisitions :) And SO good to see you again! (because we really did meet before last weekend, right?) ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we have...in another life I think. :-) I'm thrilled with my fabric, especially the loose weave cottons. I'm such a beach bum!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed your time away Mary, and you have great plans, both to donate patterns, and to make some really nice casual wear for being a beach bum. Methinks that is comfy and relaxed, and that sounds very inviting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, off to catch up with your blog now.

      Delete
  5. oh, some lovely fabric pairings with patterns. In fact, I saw a couple of patterns I liked and had missed in that grouping. I'm drooling over the Bold & Beautiful new pattern book and on the lookout for linen in the MA fabric wasteland. But I know where to get some when I get home.... :) Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's plan a sewing date when you return :-)

      Delete
  6. Fabric looks lovely, lcan't wait to see your finished products...Anna H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I'll try to do a round up from time to time.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mary. Ditto Carolyn's comment. I have so many patterns that I would be happy to donate. My church has been taking sewing machines to Africa and the Dominican. I love the idea of sharing patterns.
    Goodness, your projects look SO cool. I am loving those beach tees...I may have to check out the butterick pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynne. Use my email in the sidebar for contact info.

      Delete
  8. I hope to be able to attend a PR weekend some time. It sounds like so much fun. I love your fabric choices for your spring wardrobe, especially the beachy tops you are planning. I think it is so awesome you are bringing the patterns to Mexico. I am sure they will be cherished and well used. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shannon, Thanks-I really am taken with those taupe loose weave cottons. I hope they will cooperate when I sew up the tees. Aloha!

      Delete
  9. Hi Mary,
    I didn't know you had a blog til Shannon mentioned it today! It was really great to meet you in SF!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo! You're tackling two of the Vogues on my summer queue. Looking forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.