Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cookies for breakfast

I have tried to convince myself that the hot water shrank my clothes, or that gravity is a bit stronger here at 4500 ft.  Neither of these lies have been accepted by my rational mind.  I am just carrying some extra weight.  damn.



My family is sturdy.  If we were on Game of Thrones, we'd be kickin' ass during the winter scenes.  Really, we are muscular and strong.

and some of us are a bit fat.

I'm just carrying a little extra weight.  I don't know how much because why get on the scale and get all depressed and then want to have the last Earl Grey lemon shortbread cookie.  A cookie so sophisticated that it doesn't count as a treat but is a necessary accompaniment to specialty teas, or just a big glass of milk.

This is my Mom in 1942 and those ears belong to my oldest brother Paul.  I'm sure he is getting a cookie.  Wasn't she pretty?

What does all this have to do with sewing?  Well, I have worked on a blouse for about 4 days and it is just a little too tight for comfort.  The same pattern has been used three times previously and each of THOSE fit.
New Look 6808

I have removed the darts and even added cute gussets for my hips.  damn.  I need a cookie.

    

17 comments:

  1. Had to laugh! A cookie always solves everything...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, sounds like we might be related if we traced back our family trees :) ....and I'm sure that my clothes shrink at night in the dark closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those cookies sound divine, in fact think Rubenesque type divine if it helps! Your mother was lovely, what a great picture. And I know once the weather warms up just a bit more and the skies stay clear, you'll be exercising that little bitty bit of extra fluff right off. Young horses will do that to you, and the old devilish ones too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to away from temptation and go on a trail ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when that happens! I think some substance in the cat hair might have shrunk one of my recent projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, it is just winter weight! Fortunately for us, winter is NOT coming, it has just passed, so I'm sure you can lose the little you gained during the cold months.
    Do you read the books too, or just watch the show?)
    And your mom was very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to a cookie for breakfast! I seem to be suffering from that shrunken clothing problem as well. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I can relate. While I have, overall, lost weight, today was a baaaaad day. But it's back on the saddle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter is Coming, but that doesn't mean the weight will keep on coming. Sorry your blouse doesn't fit, but it's only a temporary thing, I'm sure. Unlike Winter in Westeros. Can you imagine a 50 year winter? For me, it would be a 50 pound winter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An Earl Grey lemon shortbread bikkie does indeed sound like the perfect start to the day! :D I've been on a diet lately, a 3 week, retrain-unhealthy-eating habits diet; and have two days to go. It's been really, regained a lot of energy and am eating healthfully again. I might post details on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that should read "really *great*", haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, Mary, I am so not happy that this happened to you. It must have been while you weren't looking. It can't have been cookies or anything you ate. Could it? Perhaps time to take the dogs out, and get into the garden, then back to the sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dare you hope that it is just the cut of the cloth and that it doesn't have as much stretch as the others you made??? No, oh well join the club having put on 1.5lbs and trying to work out why.

    Enjoy your cookie and am I sure it will go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate when this happens. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to enjoy a cookie without having to walk 5 miles to work it off! I'm with you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not so secret confessions- I've made this pattern 4 times with no front darts. While reaching for a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Earl Grey Lemon Shortbread?!?!? Where? Are there any left? Would you be willing to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.