Sunday, April 14, 2013

Comfort food on a cold spring evening

It's cold here in the Klamath Basin, even if it is April.  There is frost and ice in the mornings and while some parts of the Basin are greening, the colors of rust and taupe are still primary.

I rode today.  Nick and I went across the road to the hay fields and looped them a few times.  It was warm (relatively) when I was tacking up so I left my jacket on the hitching rail  Well, you fill in the rest.  It was spitting snow when I got back.  We had fun and Nick saw lots of interesting sights-lambs, flapping tarps, ground squirrels, a white canister, an old tire in the weeds, bulls, birds, more bulls, a few cars speeding by, some bulls, a dead thing, and some...bulls.  From his point of view, these are all potential threats or toys...young horses see the world with enthusiasm! He was intimidated by the bulls this time as they were close to the fence and they looked, well, scary.  I told him "Don't make eye contact buddy"  but he was transfixed by their sheer power.  Thank you Amy and Cameo, for being there for Nick as he edged closer and closer to you two for comfort.

Which brings me to the reason for this post: dinner!  Here is a recipe which is fast, easy, and pretty cheap.  Notice I did not mention healthy.  If you are into that, please just move along now.

Creamy Turkey Pie
1 lb ground turkey (or any ground meat)
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 ounces of cream cheese
some mushrooms
1 pkg of refrigerator biscuits (feel free to make some from scratch if that rings your bell)
1 egg
1 cup cream style cottage cheese
1 Tbs flour
chopped tomato and chives for garnish

1.  In a large skillet cook onion, mushrooms and turkey.   Add some salt, pepper or whatever seasoning you like on the meat.  I used rotisserie seasoning. Drain off any fat (there won't be any with turkey).  Stir in cream cheese.
2.  Lightly grease a pie tin, and press the biscuits onto the pie tin and up the sides.  Make this crust pretty if you like.  Spoon turkey mixture into the shell.
3.  Blend or process the cottage cheese, egg and a tablespoon of flour.  Spoon over the turkey mixture.
4.  Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until edges are browned and filling set.  Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.  Garnish with tomato and chives

Nutritional info: you don't want to know!  OK, 382 cal, fat 22g, cholesterol 111mg, sodium ???, carbs 26 g, fiber none, protein 22g, VitA 10%, Vit C 5 %, calcium 4%, iron 13%
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens website years ago

I need to go make a salad and set the table.  I'll post the dessert menu later on.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Although I'm hanging here wondering what your dessert was.
    I can just see Nick staring at those bulls. Remember, he does know targeting, so I'm not surprised he wanted to make eye contact. Glad he had a safe buddy to sidle up too.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.