Saturday, March 30, 2013

Antlers and ammo and Ambiance lining

Renewal and rebirth are the themes of this time of the year.  I have taken them to heart and made some serious changes in my sewing space.  After living in a 27 foot trailer for 4 months I could not wait to move my sewing to a larger area.  Here is the entrance to my new sewing studio:
Lest you think "Oh my, that is roughhewn"-it is.  Roughhewn.  This is the handmade part of the pantry and basement from 1945.  I prefer to think of it as ... authentic.

This is Day 2 in the studio and it is still messy.  But, I can sew here without bumping into anything.
What I have now is the ability to stand at the drafting table to layout or cut or pin, and easily walk over to the sewing machine, or one of the dressforms.  The bureau has some plexiglass on the right hand side, and I have an ironing cover which I can use there.  I need to install my cork/white board, and some shelving.  I also have a small rolling cart with drawers which fits under the drafting table when not in use.  I have room to reposition the sewing machine when I get my serger set up also.  Yep-I got a serger for Christmas and only opened the present this week. :-)

You are probably wondering about the dark, scary corner.  There are 3 tents, numerous sleeping bags, hiking gear, cots, water containers, a lawn mower, a Wii platform, 2 trumpets, music stands, a saddle stand with 4 saddle pads (clean, I hope), and wings for 2 RC airplanes.  Oh, and a glider.  And 5 rubbermaid containers of fabric. And motorcycle jackets, pants, and boots.

We have a lot of hobbies.

This room has been cleaned up...I think we outfitted a scout troop with our castoffs.

Here is the drafting table with B5473 in process.  I have to work around the gun case (filled with fishing rods) and ammo (targets only-we don't hunt) but the antlers will be helpful as hangers.

Rustic eh?

I will update you as I clear, clean and decorate.  Ross insists that it will be impossible to "girlify" this room.   I love a challenge.

26 comments:

  1. Looks like the bones of a great sewing room. I am sure you will get the most out of it after only having limited space before. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay, I am looking forward to decorating the walls.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary, That is a really beautiful sewing space with all the warmth of the natural timber - I love it. Isn't it amazing how if you like sewing you will sew anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wood paneling too. It used to cover the entire room, but we had a small ant problem years ago. Removing 2 walls of wood solved it.

      Delete
  3. I think your warm "wood paneled den in a previous life" is just the cats pajamas. So much quality room too. Cool in summer, warm and cozy in winter. And I can think of a dozen ways to girl it up and give you a fun creative retreat and I know you can too!
    I think I should pack up the Pfaff and come visit for a day of sewing....;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great spot for creativity to grow and flourish. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, that is exactly what motivated me to move.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Mary, and to a nice new space no less. I love the fact that the antlers will be good as hangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those antlers have to stay-they are iconic for this part of Oregon.

      Delete
  6. Great sewing space I'm sure you will work wonders on it. Look forward to the 'after' pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can make it more feminine-I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a space that calls out for creativity! Welcome home, and enjoy all of your expanded spaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jilly Be, I think I'll be able to "grow" some good ideas down here.

      Delete
  8. I love all the wood in your new sewing space! I was born to live in a log cabin. Some day I will find one! or build one! Enjoy, and can't wait to see how you "girlify" it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, There is room for you here. Let's trade locales for a vacation!

      Delete
  9. No place like home! I watched The Long, Long Trailer while you were out and about, and thought of you :-) what a unique sewing space. So many alternative applications! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coco, I just looked up the movie on YouTube. I must watch the whole thing!

      Delete
  10. You absolutely will not know yourself now after being in a caravan for so long . A bit of lace tied to the guns and fishing rods would girlify the room. I am sure Ross wouldn`t mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to have your own space, isn't it? Oh, I love the title of your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly-I am happier in my cave.

      Delete
  12. This looks perfect for sewing and SPACE. I look forward to the wonderful garment you will produce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to hear that you are back home. Your sewing space looks perfect....and roomy! I know you will love it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy! Hi, let's have lunch together soon.

      Delete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.