Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sew as you go

While I love to travel and see new places, I need to connect back to my routine from time to time.  Sewing helps me do that, and I love to add to my wardrobe throughout the winter.
The above outfit has become a favorite for me.  The navy stretch pants are ones which I found in a thrift store and the top is a fun tee from McCalls (M 6566 C).  It is a loose tee with an attached "skirt" on the back.  I used some navy striped cotton knit and a solid navy for the back skirt.  I sewed a small but it was far too large and I had to cut down the sides by more than an inch.  Fun tee with a loose lagenlook style.

Below are two renditions of KS 3740.  The first was sewn as directed by the pattern and the second is altered to fit more smoothly.  I added the design to the black tee by drawing with a bleach pen.






Below is a winter tee which I made while in Death Valley-howling winds, cold temperatures and no hookups.  :-)  This tee was not only necessary to stay warm, but gave me something to do inside while the sandstorm raged outdoors.

It is V8497, a pattern I have used since 2008 I think.  This tee is made from a cotton knit in hunter green.  It is a super cute stryle, and the collar adds a feminine touch to a basic tee.

This is my take on V1197, and I will certainly make this again.  I cut a larger size through the hips so I can wear this as a dress or longer tunic over pants.  Alterations should have been done BEFORE cutting but it is really hard to do that in a trailer with 2 people and 2 dogs sharing the space :-)  I will need to cut the sleeves down for this to be wearable and on my next try, alter the shoulders and size of the cowl.  As drafted, it is a bit big or overwhelming on my small frame. However, it is a super cute tunic and I highly recommend it. 

Soon, I'll be back in the USA and posting more regularly.

14 comments:

  1. The traveling seamstress! I'm impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - so you take your machine with you? I love these tops. I have that Marcy Tilton T and have never made that view. Time to try it out. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary!!! It's so good to see you back! I just love your relaxed wardrobe. Very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great pieces there...the striped top is a great look and I especially like the last tunic. Do you meet other sewers in the caravan parks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your travelogue - and hardly believe you get to sew as you go. Perfect. I have to admit I am longing for an 'adventure'. My husband and I had so many - and after he passed I recruited my children for more than one! Reading your blog post, I realize I have not really 'gone' anywhere since 2006, my last trip to Paris with my daughter, another to London. I keep saying I'll cruise the Panama Canal, which I would love, "Path Between the Seas" in hand, by myself. I need to do something about that! Stay well, enjoy, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the great thing about sewing. You can take your collection with you, wear them lots, and enjoy what you've achieved while on holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful journey and sewing along the way makes it so perfect. Love that Vogue with the interesting neckline which I too have in my pattern colection.....but unused, unlike your pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like some great items to add to your wardrobe. I really like the tank with the bleach pen art, and the last tunic is a real eye-catcher. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you can sew in such a teeny shared space! Very productive. The bleach pen embellishment is so cool--very hip and edgy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thank you for your lovely post on my first reivew - I thought I shoould pop over in person to thank you and see what you get up to on your blog. I agree with Slapdash 0 the squigglies do look on trend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your navy striped shirt, with the blue pant it looks perfekt for a good holiday!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like the perfect combination =travelling but still being able to do the things you love at home. Well except the horse riding =I suppose the caravan is not that big .
    Your new tops all look perfect too for your adventures - easy care and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm envious of your perfect retirement! And your sewing is miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bleach art! What a great idea, and I cannot fathom how you're sewing while on vacation. Do you travel with your machine?!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.