Wednesday, November 28, 2012

sleepytime tea and new pjs

I think there is nothing better than coming in from a cold afternoon with the horses, and settling down with a hot cup of tea and some cookies.

If you add in some new jammies, it *could* be better.
Here is my new custom jammie set which I finished today.  The top is a sleeveless empire top with a wrap bodice, and the bottoms are a longish capri.  The black sleeves you are noticing are part of my dressform setup and aren't part of my pjs.  I used B 5644 for my cotton knit top.  The pattern is for wovens, but I knew I would be fine as I wanted the pjs to be loose and easy to wear.  I didn't follow my usual finishing techniques and I'm a bit embarrassed about a few construction details.  No matter-they're pajamas.

The pants are Hammer pants, which I love for bed.  I used B 5499 in a size 14 and even added a little bit of width to the hip area.  I cut the length of the pants as straight as possible after adjusting for the width addition, and then sewed in a narrow elastic casing.  These pants are so roomy and comfy, while looking as though they were drafted with my figure.   They were!

I just noticed Nick sacked out in the background.  Eat, fight, sleep is his motto.  More on that later if I can bear to tell the tale.


Here are two more projects to share with you-
KS 3436 makes up a great vest for camping/hiking/general relaxation.  I have some issues with the lack of finishing along the zipper, and will change that with my next version.  It is a wonderful project for cold weather gear.


Also new to my closet is this sweet tunic from Butterick.  This is B 5555 OOP made up in a wonderful striped shirting which I think is from Marcy Tilton.  This is a super cute pattern and fun to sew, especially the front yoke and the teeny collar.  I love the sleeves and the cuffs also.
This style is a little hard for me to wear as I am super petite but curvy.   I am still experimenting with belts.  My usual mode is to embrace the messiness of the fabric ;-) and smile a whole bunch. 

I have some cool books to share with you, and some horse updates.   Big Nick "likes" bulls!

17 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I'm just having my Celestial sleepy tea with vanilla... this is my favourite. Nice pj's and that tunic is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy with your sewing - I am desperate for new PJ's so need to move them up the list. Hubby's vest looks good as does your tunic.

    Glad you are getting on so well with Big Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I've added both those patterns to my growing must have pattern list. Hammer pants??
    Oh who could miss those sweet little ears. Did you give him tea too? Think of all the wonderful things you love about him. We all have a dark side. ;)
    Nick Large must be imagining himself on the plains of Argentina this winter. So could the future bring his own little herd of cows? I hear those south american bulls are pretty nasty but he excels at herding(annoying) goats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, Hammer pants as in MCHammer with the crotch down a ways...:-)

      Delete
  4. Luv your projects and you make me want to stock up on my tea collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is such a treat for me. Love Earl Grey too.

      Delete
  5. I too love me some hammer pants as pjs. My go to pattern for that is the lounge pants form Amy Butler's "In Stitches" book but you've persuaded me to try these ones as well. And may I add, you are rocking that tunic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jammies look wonderfully comfy, and pretty darn stylish too. An the blue and white tunic is veeery nice. You look terrific in these soft colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy! Love your pjs. Love comfy pjs. I make my own also, no more Victorias Secret (although I admit I miss their original cologne - it sells for a mere fortune on eBay)! Moving on - great tunic. Keep smiling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you know I love a tunic- I find a narrow loose belt that lets the tunic move a bit works best for my hip fiesta- that one you have looks great. I need jammies- I'm just lacking in nocturnal glamour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always make everything you make looks so effortless. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been so productive! Everything looks great. The tunic is a really great piece--on-trend with the stripes and the shape but somehow classic, not trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hammer pants for jammies - what a concept! As much as I dislike hammer pants, I could definitely warm up to this idea :)

    And I have a cup of Sleepytime almost every night - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I saw your post at Patternreview and followed the link over here (I am kind of learning to sew. I use a lot of knits. I was going to post that you might find what you wanted at Hancock online -- I find their knits pretty nice, but I saw you posted later that you had found what you were looking for. If you do use Hancock, always search for a coupon online too. They almost always have one.)

    Anyway--love the shots of the horses! They are so adorable! So are the doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new PJ's look super comfy and cute. I really like the tunic as well. What a great pattern to have in your stash. Love that wide yoke on the neck.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results. Anonymous users- I have turned off your ability to comment.