Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Dog Bandit

Hunting squirrels in the Grand Tetons



Every morning I awake to the sound of my old dog asking to go outside...NOW, and I am filled with love and tenderness for her.  Even as she becomes so demanding and needy and dependent in her aging, I still see the little puppy she was and the proud alpha dog she became.  Today she sleeps beside me as I type or read or cook, getting up only for water and to follow me from room to room.  She goes up the stairs slowly and sometimes even waits at the bottom to watch me.  Am I going to stay in my sewing room?  Am I taking a bath?  If yes, she will make the journey up up up with slow and somewhat labored steps but a happiness radiating out from her eyes as she finds me.

Bandit in her prime
Summer haircut and a frisky run on the beach
Canyonlands a few years ago
Camping is very tiring
         

11 comments:

  1. Awww. You have such love for animals, it's very touching. Bandit was very lucky to get you as her owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bandit is a great friend. Reading about her makes.me miss Petey even more. My husband and I have talked about getting another dog but we aren't ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww....I saw the post title & was worried we had lost her! Instead it's a love story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old dogs, old friends. I always feel that whatever promise and expectations I had of them when I looked at them as pups is all reflected back at me in those now wise and aging faces. They love us so and we them. How could we not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the unconditional love dogs give. So happy you have that too with Bandit. We have another dog, Boulder, a demanding puppy. He will make his debut soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Bandit's brother (?) looks JUST like my Chili.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is such a beautiful post, thank you for reminding me how lhonored we are to be stewards of such devoted companions, you made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lookding forward to seeing some of your sewing projects. My doggies do the same and I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful friend! I so wish I could have a dog but living in a 3rd floor condo with no yard, it's just not feasible. I'll have to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dogs are wonderful companions, aren't they? And they can teach us so much about accepting others - and ourselves - unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bandit, you are always loved for being the best dog, ever!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results. Anonymous users- I have turned off your ability to comment.