Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book review





Jon Clinch takes us behind the scenes of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", behind the main street of town, to the backwaters of life on the Mississippi. Huck's father, known as Finn to those who fear, avoid or tolerate him, is the focus of this novel and Clinch masterfully brings this sociopath to life. Finn is a character we all fear in our dreams, and a figure some of us have met face to face. Evil that Finn is, Clinch was able to evoke some small amount of understanding and perhaps pity in this reader for the character. 

I do not want to summarize the book but will only say that the novel brings a reality and grittiness to the well known story of Huck Finn. Besides a thoroughly engaging story, incredible characters, and a look at the river culture along the Mississippi, this lyrical novel is as mesmerizing as a river flowing past. Highly recommended.

7 comments:

  1. I have this one on my extensive wish list at Amazon, time to move it up in the queue I think.
    BTW, the Dog Stars, two thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dog Stars That's the book we talked about! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, maybe I should try to locate and read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn sometime, now there are some modern follow-ups coming along. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw, I recommend The Dinner by Herman Koch, a short but very thought provoking work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I may recommend it to one of my book clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have to read it! Have you read Jon Clinch's other book "Kings of the Earth?" It was an amazing fictionalized version of a true family history and possible murder. It was fascinating.
    Thanks for the review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.