Friday, September 28, 2012

Chaos Crags

We spent this week camping at Lassen Volcanic National Park, in northern California.  This is a photo I took on a hike around Manzanita Lake, looking toward Chaos Crags.  Lassen Peak is to the right in the photo.  note: click for larger views of any photo

The park is located in the southern reaches of the Cascade Range, but has so many characteristics of the Sierras.  The trees are predominately Ponderosa and Jeffrey pine, with sugar pine and fir trees.  The rocky landscape is the result of volcanic events and the park contains 4 types of volcanoes.  It's a wonderful place to learn about geology of the western states.
We saw a mama bear and her 2 cubs while driving into the park, and of course, lots of deer, chipmunks, squirrels and birds.  I almost stepped on this little racer while walking around Hat Lake.    These snakes are hard to find as they are super fast, and have great camouflage.  If I have misidentified this snake, let me know please.
The stellar jays were not obnoxious as usual-I don't think campers feed them.  I was lucky to get this picture before he/she flew off.

It is nice to be home, and I am looking forward to some sewing time, some training/riding with Nick and more showers-our campsite was pretty ashy from the recent Reading fire nearby.   Have a wonderful weekend.

11 comments:

  1. Love the first picture, It looks so serene and beautiful. Hope you had a lovely break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I'm certainly left wanting to see more. Some of those rocks look like the type we have around our house. Good catch on that racer. Such an elegant little snake. I see them infrequently and sadly when I do it's often been a cat catch. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing pictures makes me yearn for the days when I had my horse - however we didn't quite have the same scenery you showed here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures- is it just me or does 'Chaos Crags' sound like a bad guy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh . Looks so beautiful .
    You looked absolutely cool in your dress on your scooter - my husband has one too ( scooter I mean ) but doesn`t look quite as trendy as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh......Your photos give me space to breathe deeply; thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, Chaos Crags would be a great name for a movie! This area is one of my absolute special places in the world...and only 3 hours from home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been there too.. and Love to go back.. You got some great photos girl...
    See you hopefully when I return from Australia..
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had beautiful weather for your camping trip. The area you were in seems so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful trip. Your photos are great--those wildlife shots are not easy to get!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.