Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wardrobe contests and sew alongs

Isn't it wonderful when every pattern you look at excites you and visions of fabric scroll across your imagination?   When your biggest problem is condensing all those fabulous ideas into a cohesive plan?  PatternReview.com is starting a Mini-Wardrobe contest on Sept. 1 which will run for 1 month only.  The rules are a bit confusing but basically boil down to sewing 4 items which will coordinate with a key piece already sewn, or owned, in order to make 6 different outfits.  The key piece must coordinate with every other piece but does not have to be worn with every outfit.

I'm not jumping into this pool, mostly because I just finished the Handbag Challenge, which ran for 2 weeks.  That was a bit of a time crunch to design, and create a handbag using the rules given.

The bag above began as a Marcy Tilton design (V8823).  The original bags are all oversize and the smallest of them still too big for me.  I felt a bit like Goldilocks when perusing bag patterns---this one is too small, this one is too big, this one is just right (almost).  If you want to see more of my fabulous fall bag, click here for construction album.

So, back to the Mini-Wardrobe contest.  I need to update my travel wardrobe, and add some stylish items.  I'm feeling a bit frumpy lately, perhaps because I'm spending a lot of time at the barn and not doing my hair.  Woodrow doesn't care, and in fact, my hair is way better than his skimpy mane.  Travel wardrobe...right.  Here are some pieces I am starting with.


Including the Hudson top on the left will add some softness to the capsule.  I also want to sort through some tunic patterns to use with the pants or leggings.  I may be asking for some styling advice in the future, ok?

My mini-wardrobe will be in black/white/cream/taupe with some touches of rust and teal.  At least, that is my intention but I often get sidetracked by all the beautiful fabric.  I do intend to use a number of knits from stash, and also blend in some existing pieces from my closet.  How many black turtlenecks does one girl need?

Some PR members are like me and cannot get 4 items sewn in one month...so they have banded together to produce a sew-along.  If you would like to see what is happening with that, click here.  There is nothing stopping people from sewing in both the sew along and the contest but remember that the contest sewing must not start until Sept 1.  I hope you join in with me on this wardrobe planning and sewing either here, or on PatternReview.  It is great fun to look at the storyboards and see what each person does with patterns and fabric to create a small collection.

How about you, readers?  Do you plan capsules?  Do you sew one item at a time because it is something you want?  Do you buy fabric to make a small collection?  Share among yourselves.   

23 comments:

  1. Very cool! I look forward to seeing your capsule. I love my Hudson pants and am wearing them right now, but haven't made the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi shams, I'm going to just do the top this fall because I think 3 rather than 2 new pants patterns would send me into the vortex. What type of knit did you use for the pants? The top is a fave for many people and has been made up in both knits and wovens.

      Delete
  2. Love your storyboard! I often start off with great intentions of putting together a little capsule of clothes, but usually get sidetracked along the way. As long as I'm sewing it is all good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, yes, you and I are following those interesting 2 lane roads. I am going to try to stay on the interstate on this capsule!

      Delete
  3. I'm a one-item at a time girl...
    I really love that funnel neck top. Very nice :) I'm looking forward to seeing your capsule collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I actually thought of you when typing that sentence. :-) You may do one at a time, but your colors and fabrics are the cohesive element in your wardrobe. You have an eye for that...and for proportion of coordinating pieces.

      Delete
  4. I sew flittingly. From bright shiney object to bright shiney object- sewing with a plan is hard for me- within the walls of myt sewing room is a very gaudy inner child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...gaudy inner child..." perfect, yes, you have a wonderful sense of play in your work. My training as a teacher tends toward goals and plans.

      Delete
  5. Mary, Well done planning. I haven't made the Hudson top but have the pattern in my stash. I did see it made up in FOV. It's really really roomy in sizing so keep that mind when doing a test fitting. Love the Vogue dress/tunic/jumper. Is that the new one from the recent fall selections? I haven't made leggings but they are the one item I have shopped for and can't seem to find in ANYTHING I like. I think I'm going to have bite the bullet on these and start feeling love for some good power knits. PLEASE let us know how you like the pattern if you should use the legging one and I wouldn't mind knowing where to get good legging material. Marcy Tilton maybe, but her stuff while beautiful always looks a bit heavy for them in the solid colorways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely will report back on the leggings-and I did order my ponte from Marcy. I bought enough knits for 3 of the pieces...I will be budgeting a bit next month!

      Delete
  6. I agree well done with the planning. I don't know this make of pattern but look forward to seeing it made up, together with your other items. Good luck with the bag contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline~thanks for the compliment :-) I love the planning stage so much that I sometimes stay there...

      Delete
  7. That´s a lovely capsule, looks like pieces that will work really well together. I think I might go through my wardrobe (again) one of these days and plan a capsule around what I already have and like to wear. The PR contest looks interesting, but I´ll probably just sew in my own tempo too… Looking forward to the progress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I made up that Hudson top and pants for a local fabric shop to display the top was HUGE and the pants barely fit on the skinny store mannequin...measure and watch out for differences in sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mrsmole, I have heard that the top is way over the top big. I will be cutting and pinning and basting and altering...

      Delete
  9. Your capsule looks like a perfect fit for you. I've considered entering the PR contest, but I'm not good at completing wardrobe challenges, either at PR or Stitcher's Guild. Sometimes it's fun just to pull a capsule together in my head, following the rules. It's good for stretching my mental muscle!
    It will be fun to watch your capsule come together, and I'll try to sew along with you, as I do need coordinating clothing for fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie. Please do sew along as your creativity and enthusiasm is always welcome.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the link to the sew-along - I think that might be more my speed since September is shaping up as a busy month. Love your plan, especially the Vogue dress/tunic. Can't wait to see that made up. The color palette sounds lovely, very seasonal without being in-your-face fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riesie, I hope I can make all of the pieces, and that I'm able to use stash for some of it.

      Delete
  11. Hi
    I do plan a capsule wardrobe, partly due to having little wardrobe space, I live in a small cottage. Im going to follow your link and hopefully join this sew-along
    thanks louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, Another cottage owner! Our house looks larger from the outside but it is an illusion. I hope you join our sew along.

      Delete
  12. I love to plan little wardrobes. I sketch them out, lay out fabric swatches and most of the time, never sew them up! Thanks for the sew along link. I was reading about another one today at Sunni's blog (a fashionable stitch) that sounds a lot like the PR contest.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.