Monday, August 13, 2012

Crepes and a new handbag

Hi readers!  Where in the world has kf-biblioblog been?  Well, I've been spending quite a lot of time with my friends and horses.  Theresa, of Camp Runamuck, has been such a wonderful riding partner.  She has loaned me Dandy to ride as the trip up the mountain with a horse trailer is not inconsequential.  Dandy is a Bashkir Curly, and an all around perfect gelding.  What a joy to ride a sensible, tolerant and friendly horse!  I have 2 out of 3 with Woodrow:
Like many Thoroughbred and Arabian crosses, sensible gets replaced with sensitive.

Not only can Theresa sew (oh my, you must visit her blog to see her sewing and weaving), but she is a terrific rider and loves to explore the trails.  We live in a sparsely populated area so trails really mean deer tracks, logging roads, and some people trails.  It's wild out there and not without some dangers.  I am thrilled to have met another woman who is willing to get out there with her horse and have some adventure.

When not riding, I have been sewing in spurts.  I wanted to participate in PR a little bit more, and so entered the handbag contest.  My handbag morphed from a straight copy of a Marcy Tilton design to one of my own design.  She would be proud of me as I just returned from a DOL retreat and one of the mantras I took away was "Keep working on something as long as you can".  Oh, and "even better".  So, here are a few pics of my progress: handbag construction album

I have also cut out a Crepe dress in one of the sweetest fall prints I have.  I'm looking forward to sewing this up and making a few changes on moth the fit and the design of the belt.  This first one will be Version 1 (scoop neck) and the tie will be looped or snapped in the back.  I used a rayon blend for this.


Hope everyone is staying as cool as possible-drink LOTS of water and don't overdo. :-) Mary

10 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, that handbag is wonderful! You're right Marcy Tilton would be proud. I think it's a winner for sure.
    I'd tell Dandy all the wonderful things you said about him, but then I'd need an extra trailer just to bring over his ego. ;)
    As to being a terrific rider, well, I haven't looked at anything in an arena mirror in years. Let's just say I stay on pretty good most times.
    I love your fall print. It will make a fabulous Crepe! Good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you!! As for the Crepe dress, yes I think this is the right fabric for the design and for me. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh does that mean you have to worry about bears ?
    We went on a trip to the USA in 2006 and did a national parks trip - this is the only time we encouraged our children to be noisy on the bushwalks as normally we would say you have to be quiet so you don`t scare away the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, we have bears (black bears only) and cougars (mountain lions) in our area along with all the other assorted wildlife that can cause a horse to spook. We sing and talk and generally make noise when on horseback. Theresa has a bear bell on her horse's tack.

      Delete
  3. Of course now I have to add that your handbag is shaping up to be terrific . Totally jealous of the DOL course you attended. I had alot of fun sewing a bag .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine-is yours in the gallery?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've had a great time! That print is just gorgeous, I cannot wait to see your new dress :) Going over to check out the new bag...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you two are having wonderful rides! I wish I was out on a hike...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome to find a riding partner for your outdoor adventures. I have to say you've made a beautiful bag. I love the fall feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working backwards through all your posts! I love reading all your horsey posts and seeing your horsey pics. The last horse I owned (before moving to a big urban centre to go to university - I'm still here) was a Thoroughbred-Arabian cross. He was the odd one out in a stable full of Quarter horses, which were the horses of choice in big sky cattle country, of course. Echo Bay was his name - beautiful bay with one stocking and a big blaze. I totally loved his temperamental personality - we were a good match. My DD2 rides in a therapy class weekly. It's so wonderful to be around horses again! I had no idea I missed that horsey smell so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.