Thursday, July 5, 2012

summer style, BBQ and gratitude

Last night we had dinner with friends, both old and new.  Linda is a wonderful hostess and cook so I was looking forward to dinner but a bit worried about room for it in my new dress!  Here are some snapshots we took on the way out the door:



The pattern is Simplicity 2703 and I sewed the dress as indicated except left off the ribbon details on the waist.  I am pleased with it as a first try with the pattern, and will likely try it again.  The fabric is from JoAnn's and is a thin summer cotton more appropriate for a blouse.  The bodice is partially lined-why didn't Simplicity line the whole dress?  I will next time as you can see lines below the bodice and above the half slip I am wearing.  I used cotton batiste for the lining and will switch that also next time to a slippery lining.  The dress is quite fitted through the bust and skims the hips.  There is not a lot of wiggle room above the waist.

I've been sewing quite a bit since returning from Design Outside the Lines, and exploring different techniques for fabric painting, stamping and screening.  I am also draping a casual knit jacket and am really pleased with it.  It is obvious to me that I have made a giant leap in creativity and am soaking up ideas to try.   While I wait for my technique and ability to catch up with my creativity, I plan to continue to just plain sew.

Finally, I am grateful for my financial circumstances right now.  As you know, I am retired, and part of my package includes health insurance until Medicare kicks in.  Not every teacher gets that type of deal, and as tough as I was during negotiations, I still appreciate the benefits.  My husband and I would be bankrupt if we didn't have this benefit.

These photos, and some earlier in the blog, show me after days of dental care.  My teeth were not cared for when I was a child, and I had them filled etc when I left home.  This was a long and arduous task (and expensive).  I worked in a taco stand, made minimum wage, and paid $5-10 per visit to a very kind dentist.  This work is finally failing, and I am having root canal after root canal.  Now, my insurance pays for some of this, but not all.  And there is a maximum per year.  So, I am trying to schedule the work toward the end and the beginning of each "insurance year".   All that aside, I am grateful for this health care I get at a small price.  What do uninsured people do?  They must suffer horribly.  As we enjoy our summer (or winter for my southern hemisphere friends), please share a little with those around you who need it.

22 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is very pretty and beautifully fitted. It looks just right for a Summer dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dress looks lovely on you (with or without the wiggle room). Your talk about the cost of health care makes me grateful for us National Health system here in the UK.....good luck with the root canal work yuck...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Jane, Thanks for the link...that is a good starting salary for a technical job.

      Delete
  5. Pretty dress - if your plain sewing looks as good as this , I can`t wait to see other sewing.I find wearing slim fitting clothes and pants without elastic is a good reminder to my eating self.
    Dentistry in Australia is prohibitively expensive for lots of people here too- it is not covered by our wonderful Medicare system which means no Australian citizen suffers - in public hospitals even the most intricate surgery is free . When I was a student I finally went to the dentist and needed a few fillings - the bill was over $1000 - the receptionist said - oh I have made a mistake and I thought phew ! Except her recalculation was higher !! My first pay check a few weeks later went to the dentist - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dress for a summer's evening party! I love the print, and the style. You look cool and totally ready for the soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the nice comments! I am still feeling a bit under the weather, and still have pain in other teeth. So, wearing a feminine dress, and getting comps is nice :-) Reading these comments is eye opening-I didn't realize that Australia didn't cover dental work. Janine, hope your teeth are healthy now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one would guess that you've been having any sort of problems. You look fit and carefree in your cheerful summer frock. Hope you come to the end of your dental woes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is just beautiful Mary! (And you look lovely in it.) Yes, in Australia dentistry can be very expensive. You can buy your own health insurance, which is partly subsidised by the government (to relieve the public health system). But dentistry is covered under 'extras' for which you often only get part of the cost refunded. We're soon going to fork out about $700 for a retainer plate for middle son... in the hope it may prevent the need for far more expensive braces later on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress, Mary! I'm glad to hear about your active creative phase, but sorry about the dentist. I've had my share of root canals and crowns as well and it is SO expensive, even with insurance!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, that dress looks so cool and chic. And your smile is such that I can't tell you're suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look BBQ chic, indeed! It's been one full week since my root canal, and I can finally bush the gums & chew with no discomfort. Unreal!

    Oh, & I have never had health insurance in my adult life. It started with an utter distrust of AMA medical practice & the fact none of the "alternative" caregivers I wanted to see were covered, so why have it? Lots of attitudes have shifted now...we'll see where this all goes with the new laws.

    Oh, & this tooth will end up costing me just shy of 2 grand out of pocket. Luckily, I trade work with my dentist, but still, it's 2 grand worth of work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely dress, and a timely reminder to me to be grateful for our health and all we have, thank you!
    I'm so sorry you are going through root canal treatments; very unpleasant! You poor thing! I am sending you a virtual hug from around the world...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a perfect summer dress - I am striving to locate fabric and pattern for one that looks like this. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty dress and perfect for summer. Looking forward to your venture into fabric painting, stamping and screening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally in love with that dress! It's so flattering, Mary. Another one for my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally in love with that dress! It's so flattering, Mary. Another one for my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new dress was so perfect for your 4th of July celebration with friends. What a lovely print and I like how you have paired it with the navy cardigan. I am happy to hear you have good health care coverage. It's so important, yet so many go without. I am grateful for caring health care professionals who share their skill and knowledge at reduced rates to help those who can't afford the full cost. My grandmother used to share stories about the heart surgeon she worked for who at times took vegetables, etc. from the farmers as payment, or he would just shove their bill in a drawer and not worry about whether it got paid. He was truly a man with a love for people in his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your dress, just found your blog. Dental care is often not looked at as a life saver, but it is. Mouth infections can truly cause health problems of a very serious or fatal nature. Too bad our insurers only think "cosmetic". My mother passed on in part because of a low grade infection in the roots of her few teeth that overwhelmed her rather fragile condition. So good for you that you are looking after your dental health now! Keep you sewing inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute dress! I've come across some weird half-linings in Simplicity, and just line the entire thing. Keep your mouth happy! I need lots of work again after having lots of work after an auto accident a few years ago. Resorption from the trauma has set in... ugh. Dental insurance is such a joke, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the dress and fabric, very refreshing.
    louise

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.