Monday, July 2, 2012

Have you ever fallen in love?



...with a pattern? I am making Vogue 8815, a very plain looking top which happens to have a peplum.

I found some wonderful brown and black gingham in my stash

in the form of a Goodwill dress--->perfect!



I have chosen to make it as designed, with only alterations needed for fit. I left the neckline high, and used the sleeveless version (A). The waist seam dips a bit in back and the peplum is slightly longer there on me. Here is what I have so far: everything is done, except the final hemming. I have attached hem lace, and pinned it. There is a lot of fabric to gather as I hand sew the hem, and so I'll wait until tomorrow to do that last step.



Would you like to see? I love this more than I can say...



The fit is probably the best I have achieved since I started sewing 4 years ago, and I *almost* got the checks matched up.

Stay tuned for the pattern review, and an update on what I have been doing since Design Outside the Lines.

14 comments:

  1. looks really cute can't wait to see it on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll get a review soon.

      Delete
  2. Ooh looks lovely - such a great shape! I too will look forward to seeing it on you.
    PS I recently made this in the long sleeve version, and like you, I think I might be in love with it :-) - an excellent pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a terrific pattern-can't you see this as a dress? I love your striped version-well done.

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love when those nice basic patterns come together well? So much you can do with them. It sure looks great on the form. I may have to give this one a go myself.
    Can't wait to hear about the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I am *still* mulling over what to say about the retreat! It was so deeply personal and creative that I am at a loss. I know, amazing huh? I've been riding Woodrow, and worked a friend's horse, and was offered a training job on a 20 yo spoiled Tbd (no was my answer). I'm busy but thinking about creativity and the next step in sewing for me.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful top! I've been eyeing that pattern, but there are so many other things in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene :-)!! I'm tickled by it as this is a whole new look for me.

      Delete
  5. Oh, oh! I brought this blouse to work to hem while I wait to leave (I sound like such a team player?!) I love this pattern! Now I want it in ginham, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would do similar things when working. Can't wait to see your version. My hem was very difficult-after measuring, the inside was very uneven. Maybe I flipped one of the peplum pieces on accident?

      Delete
  6. Can`t wait to see this on you. I have one peplum type blouse that I sewed and love it because it is the perfect excuse never to tuck in your tops .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love being able to re-purpose thrift finds? I am so interested to see how this one turns out. So far, it looks like it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How satisfying it is to get a great fit on a woven close-fitting garment like this. I really like the gingham and can't wait to see you wearing it! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely! And matching those tiny checks--impressive.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.